How do you feel about spanking your kids? In your home what situations would warrant a spanking?

Are you enforcing clear behaviorial boundaries for your kids or are their already" disciplinary cavities' in your kids lives? read Proverbs 5:1,2

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Kids' Health

• i feel that as long as you arent beating the crap out of your kids then a swat on the if it calls for it, then i dont have a problem...but if you are out right beating your kids for no reason but to hit them....is wrong
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 12:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I think that hitting a child in any way to disipline them sends all of the wrong messages & many people find effective ways to enforce clear boundaries without spanking. For most kids all you have to do is make them understand what the boundaries are & why they are there, you don't have to bully them into not crossing them (contrary to popular belief).
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• well how do you know the kids find this effective? no using any pain at all they need to KNOW what is bad and what is good! my opinion If swatting on the rear does this more effectively why challange it you are a soft parent. Parents are not childrens friends they are the caretaker to make sure the kids grow up healthy and be good citizens ect.,
    Anonymous

• We don't spank in our house and our son is very well behaved for a 2 year old. He knows the consequences for bad behavior would be a time out and he hates time outs. I honestly don't see the need for physical punishment and neither does my husband. It doesn't teach anything positive, and I think that all it creates is resentment from the children and hurt all around.

SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 12:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• We do time out and I count to 5 which almost always works once in a while I resort to spanking. It is usually after the millionth time out and she isn't listening when I count and I will finally smack her butt. One wollop is all though and never bare butt or with anything other then open handed on the rear end. No one is allowed to hit in the face in my house, sometimes I smack hands again rarely and not to hurt but to raise awareness when she is ignoring me. I really do not like to but I do think there are times when it is justified. We also have a rule of counting to ten before punishing if you are angry to keep from punishing out of anger.
    Luvmylittlegrl

Answer by Luvmylittlegrl at 12:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I was spanked, everyone I know was spanked, they don't consider themselves abused in anyway. Blatent disrespect is one thing that would warrent a spanking
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 12:57 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I think spanking should be a VERY last ditch resort only used if there is no other method that has worked. Also, I grew up in a household where there was physical abuse, and I don't consider a pat on the butt to be anywhere near physical abuse. I don't think it should be used every time a child misbehaves either, bc they should be taught WHY they are in trouble and what would happen if they do what they were attempting.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 12:57 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Yes, I've spanked my kids.

It happens when I/my husband feels it's warranted. What warrants it for us doesn't necessarily warrant it for another parent &, quite frankly, it's nobody's business what our guidelines are for our children.

As for the scripture... thanks, but no thanks. We're not Christian.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:59 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• As I see it if a parent doesn't believe in spanking that is just as well I have met rotten kids who are spanked and not spanked. It is up to the parents to find a disciplinary system that works for them. I also believe that a swat on the butt is only justified until a certain age depending on the childs maturity. To say a kid will turn out a certain way because they were or were not spanked is silly.
    Luvmylittlegrl

Answer by Luvmylittlegrl at 12:59 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• all parents should read the book of Proverbs
    Anonymous