Toddler Bed & Nighttime Wakings

My son is almost 22 months, and he has been in a toddler bed since about 19 months. We moved him into a toddler bed because he could easily climb out of his crib and didn't want him falling out. He has never been a fantastic sleeper but when he started in the toddler bed he did quite well. However, for the past month-month and a half he gets out of his bed at LEAST 3 times a night and comes into our room, we let him in our bed, and then he proceeds to take over our king sized bed, til we put him back in his bed, and then the cycle continues. It seems like he thinks his bed is more comfortable, but he likes being with us. I don't want to close his door, because if he really wants to, he can open the door, and I have this fear of a fire and the door is closed. I know that I should just put him back in his bed, but sometimes when I am SO tired, I just let him come in to ours. Any suggestions as to what to do??

newmommy09

Asked by newmommy09 at 12:57 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son does the same thing. However, the more you give in and let him just stay in your bed, the more he'll keep doing it. I know there are those night that you just can't drag yourself out of bed because you're so tired (i've had them), but you must or he'll continue to do it. GL
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• First, close his door or gate it. SHould there be a fire, the worst thing is for him to be able to wander around the house where you can't find him! You'd want to know exactly where he was to be able to get him out quickly. Get a door knob protector (babies r us has them) so he can't open the door. Then stop putting him in your bed. Otherwise this will go on forever. he needs to learn to resettle himself if he wakes up at night and do it by himself. If he wakes up, don't immediately go to him. Give him some time to resettle himself. (Unless you have reason to believe he's sick or there's another issue that requires you to go to him.) If he doesn't resettle, then go in, put him back in bed and leave. The less time spent in the room, the better. If need be, stay in his room with him until he goes back to sleep but don't interact with him beyond putting him back in bed.
    Anonymous

• First, in a house fire, he is SAFER with the door closed. A closed door will keep out smoke and heat for quiet a while. Make sure there is a smoke alarm in his room that YOU can hear if it goes off and close his door for safety's sake. Remember that children do NOT wake up when these alarms go off. If he does wake up and realize there is a fire, he will probably hide in his closet or under his bed. At least you will know which room he is in. And make sure you have an emergency plan of who is to get the kids and who is to call 911 if there is a problem.

At night, you can put a baby gate over his door or just do the Super Nanny silent return to bed trick. Do not allow him into your bed. When he shows up, simply take him back to his room. No talking, no reminding, do not even look him in the eye. I'd also try a reward system. He may be too young but he may respond to a reward in the morning for staying put.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2009