Jon and Kate made me think long and hard about my marriage!

Okay, so I am not the biggest Jon and Kate fan, I have watched it several times, but not every episode. I did watch it last night, so did my husband. It really, really broke my heart. I felt SOOOOO bad for Kate. Everyone thinks she is this big bitch, but who wouldnt be with 8 kids? and a husband that acts like one? She really seemed authentic and real last night, and I think she truly feels sad and very hurt. I dont always treat my husband wonderful, because he tends to act like a child. But watching that made me realize, I would completley fall apart if my husband wanted to leave. I can not imagine living my life without him, as my husband. That episode really made me hold my dh a little tighter last night. Did this show make any of you really reflect on your marriage? Do you think them having a very public split may affect other's marriages in a positive way? BTW IF YOU DONT CARE THEN DONT FU**IN REPLY!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• I've been saying the same thing all along about this, and people have bashed her to no end. I see that Jon is clearly a man that likes to run loose, and be irresponsible. Even having a problem with wanting to be wild. Of course when the man isn't being a good authority figure, it's natural for the woman to take control to keep things in order, but it makes it hard. One, the man doesn't like being under authority, but at the same time doesn't like being a good authority figure and leading his family the right way with love and care. I seen it all along, and I know as a wife, and watching my parents and others alike, it has a lot to do with how JON is that makes Kate the way she is. People just make a deal about it because they're eager to criticize other peoples lives, but avoid their own flaws.
    Anonymous

• Most husbands act like children, my DH and I have been been married for 3 years and I am learning to accept that he just doesn't see things the same way I do and being mean to him just because he doesn't is not right or fair. I think this is a really good way to push your husband a way, Kate constantly pointed out Jon's fault and to millions of people. She is never very nice to him and I do feel for her because it would be hard exspecially with so many people blaming her. In the end Jon was VERY wrong too.
    Luvmylittlegrl

Answer by Luvmylittlegrl at 1:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I think that they have shown the world that they are still "regular" people with "regular" problems. I'm not sure if this will have a positive or negative impact, but I do think that people have gotten the chance to see REAL reality tv. I also believe that we teach people how to treat us. Jon acted like a big kid and therefore Kate treated him that way. She's got a lot on her plate with 8 kids and worrying about her hubby, however, he NEVER stood up to her. He continued to allow her to talk down to him. I truely believe that that is what broke the marriage. So, I think the moral of the story is that BOTH people in the relationship have to be open and honest and both have to voice their feelings. I think this was a perfect example of what happens to a relationship without communication.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• OP, I know that a marriage ending is MOSTLY both peoples fault, but it really hurt me when he said, he was excited. I wondered if my husband ever felt like just leaving. It really really opend my eyes. It made me want to be a "better" wife.
    Anonymous

• I understand what you are saying. A couple of years ago my Husband in the middle of folding laundry told me he was moving out. We were separated 4 L O N G months. I hurt and cried for weeks. He came home when I was at the point where I had just about moved on. I had stopped crying and got myself together, got a routine with kids, changed from 3rd shift to 1st shift and was pretty independent. He came home and we worked through our issues. We couldn't be happier now. It breaks my heart to see these situations though. BTW I am mental with four kids so I truly understand her being short tempered. I go off on my Husband sometimes but he knows Im venting and we always KISS and MAKEUP and that part is always fun!
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I can see where you are coming from on this... I'm single so it doesn't make me want to treat my husband any better lol.... but it does make me look at marriage a little different. I think it's sad to see a family go through so much pain and I think everyone has seen Kate's personality from the get go and seen Jon act like an ass for the last few months every marriage is complicated. Who knows if these people could have made it this long if there wasn't a dominant party in the relationship. I don't think they are having so many problems because Kate is a dickhead occasionally.... I think she's settled in family life and he's going through some sort of midlife crisis look at how young they started their family... and much they had on their plate by age 27. wow We sometimes forget that people are still growing after they get married and sometimes it's in a different direction than the one they are with.
    Anonymous

• Things I have learned from watching "Jon and Kate Plus 8":

-Respect your spouse. Listen to them.
    -Don't belittle your spouse in any way, either in public or in private.
    -Don't sweat the small stuff.
    -Recognize your spouse's needs and make solid efforts to meet them.
    -Remember that it is God, then spouse, then children. Set aside time to be alone with your spouse, often. Honor and cherish your relationship as a couple.
    -Compromise.
    -Communicate communicate communicate. Discuss your needs, ideas, and plans. Listen to your spouse's.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 3:18 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I guarantee that if any of us were videotaped and not "acting" for the cameras we'd be very surprised and shocked. I know I can be a bitch and I am very fortunate to have a loving and hard working man who is an incredibly loving partner to me and a wonderful, devoted father to our kids. Still, I have my moments.
    Anonymous