• In the Spotlight:

how hot is too hot?

i wanted to take my son to the beach today but my mom said it would be too hot. it's supposed to get up to 90.. but im not going until around 4 or 5 when it's not as hot. is it safe? or too hot to take him? he's 2 1/2

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think that's too hot. I would be more concerned about the sun. Between 10 and 3 is when the sun is at it's hottest and you are more likely to dehydrate and burn, so I would do the beach before 10 or after 3. And being that it's supposed to be in the 90's the beach and the water is a great idea.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:04 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Later in the day is probably fine. Make sure to bring plenty of water and suncreen. The temperature isn't as much the issue as how long you're out in it. Particularly if he's going in the water and playing is a wet bathing suit.
    Anonymous

• I agree witht the first two ladies. Later in the day is best and make sure he has lots of water and sunscreen and just be sure he isnt in the sun too long. The temp is fine. Not too hot for a 2 1/2 y/o.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I agree with PPs. Take an umbrella for shade, too. It's still pretty sunny at that time.
    Anonymous

• Just go. 100+ is getting too hot. My kids and i are going to the lake today as well and it is over 90 right now. Just make sure you have water to keep them hydrated. If he is playing in the water, he will be a lot cooler.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 2:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• It's not dangerous but he will probably get whiny and want to go home at 90!
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 3:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Those of us that live in hot climates don't spend all our time indoors! 90 isn't that hot! Anyway, make sure that you bring enough sunscreen and water. I noticed that kids aren't bothered by heat in the same way that adults are, just make sure that they drink plenty of water.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 3:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I wouldn't be too concerned. I live in Florida and it's well over 100 out this past week/weekend + the heat index! If I couldn't take my daughter out just becuase of the temp, we'd be miserable! Keep your child hydrated, lots of sun screen, and make sure he gets splashed with water to help keep cool. I just couldn't stay for too long.
    Anonymous

• It's always cooler by the water...not by much but still cooler. I agree with the rest of the ladies, later in the day or early morning is usually the best times to go because the sun isn't as intense as it is like around 12pm. Just remember to bring lots of sunscreen and an umbrella for shade and water to drink so no one dehydates. Have fun!
    grooveybabe004

Answer by grooveybabe004 at 5:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2009