divorce stats... does this change anyone's mind about marriage???

50% of all marriages in the America end in divorce."

The above statement about the divorce rate in America hides all the details about distribution, however.

Age at marriage for those who divorce in America Age Women Men

Under 20 years old 27.6% 11.7%

20 to 24 years old 36.6% 38.8%

25 to 29 years old 16.4% 22.3%

30 to 34 years old 8.5% 11.6%

35 to 39 years old 5.1% 6.5%

The divorce rate in America for first marriage, vs second or third marriage

50% percent of first marriages, 67% of second and 74% of third marriages end in divorce, according to Jennifer Baker of the Forest Institute of Professional Psychology in Springfield, Missouri.”

According to enrichment journal on the divorce rate in America:

The d

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• Thank you for the numbers. Interesting. So women age under 24 at the time of marriage have a considerably higher chance of divorce than those older than that. And men between 20-24 have the highest level of divorce by far. What surprises me even more is that men who marry under age 20have a much less chance of divorce than those age 20-24. I wonder why? Must be some reason.

Answer by Bmat at 1:10 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Yeah, our minister was so kind to inform us of that in the middle of our wedding. LOL!!! But no, it wouldn't have changed my mind about it if he had mentioned it to us before.
    Anonymous

• I wouldnt have changed my mind. I love my husband and he is a great father, the future is the future. But as of right now life is perfect and I dont see that changing ever! We both knew marriage would be a struggle and made the vow to fight threw all our problems
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:17 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• no, because i wont get married untili know "hes the one" i have been with a man for almost 3 years now, engaged...but dont want to marry him, im not happy. i wont marry him bcuz i dont love him like i should, im not treated like i should be.
    Anonymous

• I was 24 when I got married. It's not all roses and laughter. But, I didn't let those stats, ruin my outlook. I look at my parents they've been married almost 31 years now. I believe that there's is some that can make it. It takes two to make a relationship, that goes for saving it as well. If you don't want it everyday, then you can easily give up. So, I look at is stats just like anything else. but it doesn't change my mind about marriage one bit.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 2:01 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• No, it doesnt change my mind about marriage. There is nothing wrong with marriage, its the very few who take it lightly that have something wrong with them. Marriage is suppose to be a beautiful, lifelong hardworking commitment. Some people take it differently. So dont blame "marriage" blame the few people who give it a bad name.
    Anonymous

• If you don't believe you are going to beat the odds you probably shouldn't marry that person to begin with.

Also the younger you marry, the more time you have to be married, so of course its a bit higher, because there's more time for things to go "wrong". I also wonder how many couples who marry older, may stay with each other, despite being unhappy due to being too old to move on? Until they do a study of how many couples are married and happy and the ages they got married, the divorce statistics really don't have a lot of weight.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 3:11 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• And I didn't mean they were too old to move on, but felt that way, sorry should have phrased that better.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 3:27 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• It is estimated that upwards of 95% of divorces in the U.S. are "uncontested," because the two parties are able to come to an agreement (either with or without lawyers/mediators/collaborative counsel) about the property, children and support issues. Only God knows the real cause of divorce. When the parties can agree and present the court with a fair and equitable agreement, approval of the divorce is almost guaranteed. If the two parties cannot come to an agreement, they may ask the court to decide how to split property and deal with the custody of their children. Though this may be necessary, the courts would prefer parties come to an agreement prior to entering court.
    medicalojobs

Answer by medicalojobs at 10:28 PM on May. 27, 2010