Do you want a public health plan?

For anyone who doesn't know this means a government run plan with all decisions made through the government. Why? Why do you think it would be better than a plan with regulations making ins. companies not be able to refuse you and being able to get your own plan with money given to you by the government?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 1:12 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No. I don't.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:13 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Look at our situation compared to lets see Japan, Canada, Germany, England and so on. Our health care system is royally f***ed up so yes the government needs to get in there and do something. Why is our life expectancy so short in such a rich country.?
    Luvmylittlegrl

Answer by Luvmylittlegrl at 1:16 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Absolutely not! I'm not sure what the solution should be to the health care and insurance problems, but a public health plan is not the answer. I am totally against that.
    Anonymous

• luv--
    Our health care system is royally f***ed up

***
    For whom?! I like our private healthcare plan, and both of my children have special needs.

Any problems with our health care system is primarily due to all of the frivolous lawsuits and malpractice laws. When someone wins a multi-million dollar class-action law suit, you can expect your costs to go up, and services/covered benefits to go down.

That and we're a very UNHEALTHY country...with all of the "feel good conveniences" we have on every corner...from fast food, to public transportation, to free delivery!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Your definition of the public health plan is wrong. Check your facts first. My kids are on government health (medicaid) and my mom is on government health (medicaid) and it isn't the government making the decisions... it is me and the doctor or my mom and the doctor. No one is denying anyone service and we actually have better coverage than on private insurance. At least we don't have to wait 6 months for an appointment (CIGNA) or 4 months for surgery to remove an ovarian tumor (Blue Cross). My son needed surgery for urinary realignment (it came out the side of his you know what), we went from the first visit, to the pre-op appointment, to the day of surgery within 3 weeks. My mom had a lump in her breast and went through to surgery within 2 weeks. Yea, I'd prefer a public health plan. They are faster than the privates and we haven't had a claim denied yet (Blue Cross and Cigna both tried that one).
    Anonymous

• Hell-to-the-no! NO thanks! I like my plan just fine, thank you!
    sweetsea07

Answer by sweetsea07 at 1:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• LoriKeet I couldn't agree with you more! If you want to bring down health care costs the answer is tort reform not more regulations and government involvement.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 1:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Yes, I do. My mom has Medicare and she can still choose her own doctor and make decisions about her medical care.
    Anonymous

• Government insurance won't mean lower costs it will just mean that the money will go to pay for an enormous bureaucracy instead of to doctors and health care providers. The government will artificially cap health care workers salaries and that will discourage our brightest students from pursuing careers in medicine.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 1:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Private insurance companies will go out business because they won't be able to compete and there won't be any other choice but the government choice that will be funded by ever increasing taxes.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 1:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2009