• In the Spotlight:

What are your thoughts about yesterday's train accident in DC?

I live outside of DC and so this has been all over our local news channels like there is no tomorrow. They had a guy on the Today show that was on the striking train and he said that the conductor came over the loud speaker and said they were stopped waiting for the train ahead to proceed, so do you think METRO made a mistake and told the wrong train to proceed ahead? There was no evidence that the striking train slowed down before impact and it was an aging model so there are no recording devices on it. I have ridden Metro many times myself and I am just hung up on how this could have happened.

usmc0351wife

Asked by usmc0351wife at 1:31 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Its very sad! I havent heard much about it, I live in the midwest, but my thoughts and prayers go out to all that are affected by this.
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 1:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• We recently took 100 teenage kids to DC. We rode the metro, this was the first time any of us had ever rode a metro, as we do not have that type of transportation in our area. I seen the wreckage on the news, is scarier when you have been where the the accident takes place, makes it more real.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:52 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I hadn't heard about it. We've had the tv off the last two days.

That's awful! We've considered riding the metro when we go to DC as we just moved within 5 hours of ithe capital and my husband has never been. I know driving in DC can be an absolute nightmare so we had looked up the routes and stuff for the metro and the marc as it stops just 2 hours from here.

That is terrifying.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 3:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• tragic...seems the news is full of it lately...

Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 6:09 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Yes it is just disturbing that happened and we have no idea how or what went wrong. I was just on Metro on Friday going to a Nationals game with my husband and 5month old son. It just hits home that it could happen at anytime and on any line. I don't take the red line but Metro is constantly doing track work and limiting trains to the same track. So sad that 9 people lost their lives and it breaks my heart even more to hear about the 23yr old who was on her way to pick up her son and she lost her life. She had two young children.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 8:54 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I am horrified by what happened here yesterday. I live in DC and frequently ride the red line to and from downtown with my 3 year old. I was on the train as recently as Saturday with him. It really scares me because that could have been any of us that frequently ride the trains. All of us go through the turnstile for one reason or another. Whether it be a broken down car, no license, tourists, etc. We all have reasons, but no one expects it to be there last ride. I feel very badly for those that lost there lives. I was on the phone calling friends and relatives that may have been riding to make sure everyone was ok. All were and the stories of why they weren't on the train at that time are as chilling as the video of the one train atop the other. I do hope metro gets there fleet updated and retrofitted so that this tragedy does not occur again. My heart mourns for all that were lost. A speedy recovery to the injured.
    NicosmomJoie

Answer by NicosmomJoie at 11:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2009