Does your child have a TV in their room?

I want to know how many moms let their kids have TVs in the bedroom and at what age did you put it in there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes, he's always had a small one. He's now 6. BUT he is only allowed to turn it on occasionally and when it's okay with me or his dad. It's also only used for dvds or his v-smile. No cable hook up. I don't think it's about having a TV in their room...it's about how well you as the parent monitor it. My son can't just turn on his TV and chill out. I don't believe in too much tv for them.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 2:18 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• No and they won't ever. Their room is to sleep and a place for me to punish them if needed.

Anonymous

• My son is 4 and he's had one in his room since he was about 2.5 and it's a BIG mistake! My SO suggested it and then put it in there so he could watch his cartoons and not monopolize our tv. I keep telling him to take it out. My son still watches his cartoons on the other tvs and then fights over bedtime because of the stupid tv.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Nope we have one TV in the basement and that is where everyone goes if we are going to watch TV or play video games. We have radio to listen to and that is it for most of the time. We watch TV before naps and a little before bath time and then my husband and I stream movies from netflix and relax before bed. that is all the television we watch and that seems like a lot, it is more than two hours for my husband and I I think.
    Luvmylittlegrl

Answer by Luvmylittlegrl at 1:35 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• no, DH and I decided taht we wouldnt put tv in our kids room. If they wanted to watch tv than they can be with the family. They dont need to hide out in their room. plus my oldest is 3 and i think he woul end watching way too much tv then. with only 1 in the house i can control how much and what he watches. I also will not allow one in the kitchen. I think that is a room where people can talk an dlaugh and be a family without having the tv as a distraction. Im not against tv, i jsut think its for certain places only
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 1:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• No and I don't plan on it ever happening. As I grew up, all 3 of my siblings and I DID and we were all loners, in our room, not together much. I'd rather share a family tv. Many other reasons, as well come into play...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 1:48 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• No- my 13 yr old doesnt and never will and i have a 1year old and he wont, because their Dad watches tv in his bedroom fromthe time he gets done work till bedtime- unless he mowes the lawn then after that. He comes out for dinner and to go to the basement to smoke and he has a tv there to watvh while he smokes. He will not change- its anti-social behavior. I know he works, but he is a Dad too. So I am teaching the kids the right way- you dont isolate yourself in your bedroom - you are a part of a family- we have a tv in the living to SHARE and one in the den to SHARE- we also have the internet in 2 rooms- I will not put a tv in the kids rooms because of their Dads anti-social behavior that he learned from his Mom who gave him his own way all the time. He watche dmovies with me when we first got married and we had 2 shows to watch together- now he is a loner again like before we met. Dont do it.
    Anonymous

• My hubby is addicted to tv- so dont do it- the kids wont have as many friends- it is isolation. Make him share with u and take turns with waching shows or he can read a book or play a video game - if he doesnt like what ur watching.
    Anonymous

• Guilty ! I they were probably 4 and up.
    Patty414

Answer by Patty414 at 2:17 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• No, never. My daughter is 3 and she watches 10 min of tv per day and it is animal planet with her father and myself.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 2:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2009