Does it sound like pink eye/ conjunctivitis?

My eye is weeping, swollen, red. Last night, when it began bothering me, it felt very dry and scratchy (my husband thinks I scratched it and it became infected). Do I have to go to the doctor? I am putting warm compresses on and trying to rest.

TXdanielly

Asked by TXdanielly at 1:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Health

• If you have pink eye, then you will wake up in the morning w/ crust all over your eyes & eye lashes. That is a sure sign of pink eye. It could be that you scratched your eye. One time i had something in my eye, & while trying to gt it out I barely scratched my cornea (not enough to really hurt) but my eye became swollen & would not stop watering. I thought that i had something else in my eye, but when i stopped by the eye Dr. on my way to work, he said i just barely scratched the cornea & that it would heal on its own. He did give me some eye drops & that was it. Your tears are enough to keep your eye's from getting infected, but if you are not making enough tears go get some eye drops & keep your eyes moist.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:44 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• YES NOW BECAUSE you yourself and your husband can not easily tell which it is. A scratch can affect your vision for life, pink eye / conjunctiviitus is temporary although bothersome. A relative had a scratch on his eye and had to have emergency surgery. Go the the ER NOW IF an opthamologist can't see you today. Good Luck mommy!!
    Anonymous

• Could be either but def see a dr to see whats wrong with it.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:23 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Thanks. It sounds like pink eye because of the crusties but it is swollen (does pink eye swell)? I hope to get in ASAP to the doc,
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 2:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Get to the dr When my dd had pink eye it was just red in a spot like the vessels busted in that spot there was no crusting of the eye but she did itch it, they gave her drops and it cleared in a week

aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 6:32 PM on Jun. 23, 2009