How do you know the differnce between stomach flu and food poisoning?

I felt fine yesterday ate at kfc today i feel like i have the flu ive neer had food posioning how do you know the difference?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 1:43 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Health

• I think stomach flu usually has a fever with it a bit after getting it and a head cold too and food poisoning usually does not have either just the vomitting and aches from that. And flu generally lasts longer cause the whole body's affected. Food poisoning more often affects just the stomach and has pain from being so sick.
    Anonymous

• I think food poisoning comes on quick. You start feeling bad shortly after eating whatever it was that gave you the food poisoning.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:51 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Food poisoning will generally come on quickly, however with meat sometimes it takes longer (up to 72 hrs) bc of the way we digest meat. Food poisoning also only lasts about 24 hours, and is very violent, with lots of throwing up, etc.
    With the stomach flu the symptoms start the same, but usually last about 3 days. The symptoms aren't nearly as extreme, but are usually accompanied by dizziness, achiness, headaches, and fever. The treatment for both is pretty much the same though. Stay hydrated, and only eat things that are very gentle on the stomach such as chicken noodle soup once you can keep food down. Try taking tylenol or use a cold washcloth for the fever. Good luck! Neither is fun, and I hope you get to feeling better!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 2:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Food poisoning usually don't start until about 12 to 24 hours after eating something that was bad! Also you would be throwing up a lot and feel very sick! The flu usually makes your body ache and has a fever! You can also have diarrhea with food poisoning! I had food poisoning once and could not quit throwing up and having diarrhea so I went to the ER and the doc had to give me some meds to get better!

SD777

Answer by SD777 at 2:05 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Required to take a food safety course where I work...the flu will have fever and the achiness as well as diarrhea and vomitting and you will get it if someone else around you had the flu...if it's food poisoning it will take a minute for the poisoning to take effect.....
    maidmomma

Answer by maidmomma at 3:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• The flu is more respiratory. It is a common misconception that the flu is vomitting and diarrhea. That is a virus. You will literally feel like you are dying if you have food poisioning. I had food poisioning and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, it is horrible. Food poisioning can take minutes to days to surface, depending on the type of poisioning and how bad you have it. The health dept or your doctor can do a test to tell you the type of food poisioning that you have.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:48 PM on Jun. 23, 2009