Teen graduates college and high school at the same time.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Two-Caps-Two-Gowns-But-Not-Too-Busy.html?corder=&pg=1#comments

I think that this young man's story is great and insipiring, I mean he graduated high school and college (bachelors degree) at the same time. Not many kids i know would have the initiative to take college courses from 5-10 PM after a long day of high school, and graduate the same time you finish high school. What I am surprised about is some of the comments on the article pretty much degrading him, saying his degree in film isn't a "real" degree like if it had been engineering or something, and comments about how it's not hard to take college courses while in high school. Granted, there are quite a few "nicer" comments on there but those really stood out! But yet I bet none of them did it. What are your thoughts?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 1:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I just read the article about this young man as well. I think this young man is a great example of the desire to achieve. He is a good role model for anyone.
    As for the idiots that are making rude comments about him not getting a real degree, I have a very good feeling this young man has more talent in one pinkey then they have in their whole body.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:49 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I AGREE WITH YOU, NOT TOO MANY TEENS WOULD EVEN CONSIDER THIS, BUT I AM ALSO SURE HE MISSED OUT ON THE MOST WONDERFUL YEARS OF BEING A TEEN IN ORDER TO BE ABLE TO DO THIS. IN THE END WILL IT BE WORTH IT? YOU DON'T GET TO RELIVE THOSE YEARS TO MAKE MEMORIES WHICH WILL ALSO SERVE AS LEARNING EXPERIENCES . EITHER WAY, IT IS A GREAT ACCOMPLISHMENT!

Answer by older at 1:53 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Whoever said its not hard to take college courses WHILE going to HS is completely idiotic. I dropped out my junior year for personal reasons.. I ended up coming back the next year to complete BOTH my junior and senior year in one year. I took 2 computer courses after school everyday until 6-7pm and THAT was tiring and hard. I can only imagine how hard it was for him to take college courses until 10pm at night. Great job!!!
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 1:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I think he is wonderful and he should be proud of all he has accomplished. I hope my son has the same drive when he is in school. This very un"typical" teen boy should be commended and not comdemned. I would wager most being negative towards him have never even completed high school or college and should simply be quite about it.
    Anonymous

• Good for him! I'm sure his parents are very proud of him, as I would be. I wish more teens were more like him, doing something worthwhile with the time they're not in high school instead of out in the streets causing trouble... I certainly would have taken college courses while in high school after class if I had the opportunity.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 2:17 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I think its great! He has a head start on a good life. I was able to take college classes at my high school. It saved me tons of money. I had completed a year and a half's worth of college before I graduated high school so it saved me so much on tuition and time. I am grateful for the college based classes in high school that give you high school and college credits. I can't believe he actually did his classes outside of school though, that is amazing.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 2:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I think it is wonderful! I hope that would be my kids. They are well on their way. At 9 and 7 they are constantly doing schoolwork without being asked or told, they take initiative to do work on their own, they have big dreams. I worry about being able to keep up with them sometimes (we homeschool). LOL
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 4:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• It takes hard work from him and his family. It also takes special circumstances. Most colleges will admit a high school student only part time and only with the permission of the high school. Many principals and counselors will discourage kids from doing this - feeling they are too "immature".
    For me, I hated high school. The social scene is very artificial and the classes were boring. I hated it so much that I will happily let my daughter take her GED as soon as she is old enough if her high school won't let her move on to college like this young man did. She would still have to be in school but I see no reason to force a child to finish high school if they can move on to college. Maybe someday our system will be ability based instead of age based.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Good for him. That takes a lot of dicipline to work after high school every day and homework for both. I can't imagine how hard he had to work, it is truely inspiring.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:23 PM on Jun. 23, 2009