Do you plan meals? any tips? does it save money or not?

Trying to do this but i get frustrated

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Yes and yes it does save money. Listen to the second to last podcast on What Really Matters/ It had a ton of tips for saving money. The gal they interviewed is from the food network...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 1:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I always plan my meals for 2 weeks, and in doing so i can buy stuff like hamburger meat in bulk so that I can get a better price. Ya lots of times it will save on money and time! I reserve two meals a week as "possible pizza nights" lol where I try new recipes! Also if you know what you are going to need, then you can look up sites where u can find coupons for the things you will need. I just go to google and type in "online grocery coupons" and I always end up saving some with them! Good luck :)
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 1:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I don't so much as plan every meal, but I shop in bulk to make sure I have enough stuff to make all the meals we normally eat. Like I buy a big pack of chicken breasts, pork chops, hamburger, and various other meats. Then I break it all up, and freeze enough for one meal. It costs me $10 for a 5 pound roll of hamburger, vs. like $3 for one pound. Just shop wise and buy in bulk if you can!
    Rhimeadows1

Answer by Rhimeadows1 at 1:52 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I started doing this recently and it did cut my grocery bills so far by about $50-70. I don't shop monthly, I shop weekly and spend about $100 sometimes less. And try not to go over that. What I do is write down some cheap easy meals for the week ahead of time. Such as Sloppyjoes w/FF, Grilled cheese sandwichs w/Tomatoe soup, Chicken Drumsticks, Chicken soup, Tacos. Then I review the store ad the day it comes out. Here is Saturday, Sunday I clip coupons and go shopping. I only get whats on my detailed list and only for the meals we will be having. Good luck.
    And if you have any tips for me I'd love to hear them!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:54 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• We do too and we have left over nights because we always have some left overs.

What we do is sit down and all pick meals that we want for the next two weeks then we do to Miejers and buy what we need their and look at prices, Then we go to Sams cluba nd buy in bulk but only what is worth it sometime Miejer and Ralphs have better prices. Ralphs (local store) and Miejers are on the way home and we will swing in and get the items that are better prices or better quality, We shop at ralphs because even though the other stores have cheaper stake or pork chops or ribs you can only get them cheap in bulk and we don't need 20 dollars worth of meat. I can go to Ralphs get a better cut and spend less but get only what we need.
    Luvmylittlegrl

Answer by Luvmylittlegrl at 1:56 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I plan a month ahead.

once a month do a big shopping trip for the staples/pantry/ meats and a weekly for produce/and dairy.

I feed a family of 5 (really 6 as dh has a very physically demanding job and eats for it) for about $600 a month.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• First of all sit down and make a list of meals your family enjoys. If you really think about it and go by categories, you can come up with plenty, I'm sure. Next, go thru your pantry, freezer & fridge and make a written list of everything edible. Then sit down and try to match ingredients to meals to see what you can make with what you have. Then hit the sales ads to see if anything you still need is on sale. You can surely come up with a week's worth of meals that way, maybe more. Keep your written meal plan on your fridge so that you don't forget what you've planned. When you shop, stick to your list!

I feed a family of 4 adults and 3 tweens on $250 a month, often less. I have tips on how to do this on my profile page. I'm also happy to share menu ideas and recipes!
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 3:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I plan my meals and have my pantry set up to have my meals ready...and it has saved me tons of money. I went out and bought 4 huge wooden basket and set them on the top shelf of my pantry for 4 nights of dinner. I put all the cans, boxes and things I need that night to fix supper expect frozen or fridge things. Put a label on what is supposed to be fixed that night and sometimes if it is a new recipe I add the recipe card. So, when I pull dinner 1 out, I can look to see what kind of meat I have to pull out for tomorrow nights dinner. Not only that dinner 1 basket is now dinner 4 (it goes at the end) and it is filled with things I need for that dinner. All I have to do is look at my menu and place the item in it. Not only that I have breakfest stuff in one place and lunch stuff in the other. I tell you sents I have a menu and my pantry in order it has saved me on gas, headache med. and I have peace. It is worth it.
    BrknWingAngel

Answer by BrknWingAngel at 7:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Plus, in my pantry I have my own recipe book of dinner that my family loves and when I do my menus I do not have to guess what I am going to have for dinner and when I am running to do something my husband can cook dinner. My cookbook is nexts to the basket and he does not have to call and ask how to do this when everything is in there.
    BrknWingAngel

Answer by BrknWingAngel at 7:46 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I use the angle food ministry. It really helps me keep cost down and have my meals planned. I buy one standard box and one fresh veggie box a montha nd suppliment what ever lse we need in between.

Anonymous