what do you think of this? (dh said this to me last night)

We were watching a movie and at the very end of the movie all the girls dreams came true and she opened up a clothing store and my dh said that he is getting very frustrated with pop culture because he feels like with all the shows like (Americas next top model and project runway, true Jackson and the hills and also movies like sex and the city, and even the one we were watching yesterday which was enchanted.…the one with Amy Adams) That it is programming little girls to think that they can do anything they want….as long as it is in that industry. He said he can’t really think of any shows on right now that are geared to younger girls that don’t have something to do with the fashion industry and he says it really pisses him off cuz its like setting the woman’s movement back…..So I am just wondering what you guys think about that…..any thoughts would be appreciated…

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• i think he's kinda right, there should be more things out there for little gitls than fashon or princess stuff
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:58 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I think everything on TV now these days is all about image, if you don't look a certain way then you don't fit in, and then kids have problems at school just cuz they don't look like the girls on TV so then they are not cool and that leads to insecurities and other problems so I agree with him all the way
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:58 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Your husband has an interesting point.. a lot of all those things has to do with the stereotypical "girl" thing. I feel the same way about pink toy vacuums and brooms that they sell that are marketed to girls. Wtf...
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 1:58 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I agree with him!! There is nothing that doesn't show women in a more powerful role. Me and my fam are wrestling fans, and we won't let any of the kids really watch the Diva's wrestle. There aer a selcect few that do a good job, but most come out and just show T&A and act dumber than all get out!!
    Peanut_Farley

Answer by Peanut_Farley at 1:59 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• thats why I'm glad I have boys cuz I don't want todeal with that BS
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Oh god pop culture and girls is like a train wreck it is all about glamourous jobs and making millions. My daughter doesn't watch cable or public television because of the crap that is on there. I want her hopes and dreams to be of doctors and teacher or such. I don't mind if she want to be a princess now (she is three) but at like 13 and above I would like her to want to be something intelligent and sophisticated not paris hilton or britney spears.
    Luvmylittlegrl

Answer by Luvmylittlegrl at 2:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• That's a pretty profound thought for a guy to have. I mean my husband is pretty thoughtful and observant too, but that's really cool. I think I'd have to agree. It's like spitting in the faces of the women who fought long and hard for the rights of women in this country. They fought so that women could have any career they wanted and choose whether to have a family or to have a career or both. I'm all for teaching young girls that they can be what they want and do what they want with their lives, but along with that you have to teach consequences for actions and choices. Not every girl can be a fashion designer. Some of us have to be educators, scientists, etc.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 2:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• He's pretty smart. We keep our pop culture to a minimum here.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:07 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• That's a pretty profound thought for a guy to have.

OP here- I know right???? when he said that i swear i almost fell off the couch!
    Anonymous

• Parents have more influence than TV and could turn those movies and show off and be active with their kids. My sisters daughters love princess stuff and have never watched TV in their lives. They also like to play with tools and play in sports. They are pretty well rounded thanks to parents who are involved and don't leave it up to TV and popular culture to raise their kids.
    Anonymous