Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Texas,divorce,annulment, etc.

I've been with my husband almost 7 years. We just recently got married in March. Things are going sour in more ways then one, and I often feel like it was a mistake. Not a regret, but a mistake I can learn from and move on. I married for the number 1 wrong reason, our children.

I've looked up annulment in Texas, and I don't get any time restrictions, I see a lot of other reasons, which none apply to us, so is there a time limit on a marriage where you can have it annulled or no?

Also what does a basic divorce run? I'm talking no property to settle and coming to an agreement about the children ( custody and child support) out of court.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (4)
  • if there is NO fighting going on and the agreement is 100% on the custody and child support, you can go to and down load your own divorce paper, it will NOT have custody or cs. Take it to the courts and file, you'll both go infront of the Judge, he'll sign it, and it'll be done.

    Answer by Peanut_Farley at 2:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • 250 is the filing cost sorry. and if you want to go through a lawyer, $500 is what mine was and that was because it was all agreed on. 250 for the lawyer and 250 for filing, if anyone is charging you more, with there not being any fighting on what goes to who, they are taking too much. Me and my DH payed the same thing and I have a Custody/Child Support agreement with my oldest sons dad. Neither cost over 500.

    Answer by Peanut_Farley at 2:04 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • it seems that if you don't fall into any of the categories listed for texas divorce law, you cannot get an annulment. I know in IL you have 10 days after the marriage to get an annulment, but it seems TX doesn't have that. You would need to file for a divorce. Here I paid around $2500 for a divorce. We had no property and settled for visitation, etc. My best suggestion is to consult a lawyer in your area, most do free consultations.

    Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:06 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • Annulment means the marriage was never valid. So in most states, in order to file an "annulment", you need to have a valid reason, like: fraud, related to spouse, forced, underage, etc. If your marriage doesn't fit the criteria specific for an annulment, you may need to just file divorce papers.

    In Texas, I believe you just need to file a petition. Here's a website that might help:


    Answer by CoolGirlChris at 2:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.