Dog litter pan?

I was recently in the pets section of Wal-Mart, and saw a dog litter pan and litter to fill it. I have an 8 week old shih tzu mix who I would love to train to use it. I'm not so sure I could retrain my 2 year old shih tzu to use it, but I guess I could try. Anyone have any experience with one of these?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Pets

• no, my dogs poop in the yard
    Anonymous

• We got one for our Boston Terrier. She was already potty trained to go outside. We hoped that she'd use the pan while we were working. She wouldn't even get close to it cause she didn't like the pellets things you had to use as the litter. You might have some luck with the 8 week old since it's still probably still learning, right? I don't think you'll have much luck with the older one though.
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 2:07 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• We tried with our then 8-week old puppy. She looked at us like we were crazy. She was much easier to housebreak and train to go outside.
    have2travel

Answer by have2travel at 2:10 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• why does this remind me of an old coworker who had a mother almost 100 years old?
    she refused to come to a party BBQ, where family members had a house where they cooked outside and pooped inside the house. makes perfect sense.
    poop should occur outside the home.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I've never been a fan of training a dog to potty on newspapers, in litter boxes, etc. I don't want my dogs thinking that going potty inside the house is a good thing, even in a designated spot.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• lol...my cousin's wife thought of litter training a dog years ago...they use a huge sled and i do beleive they just use regular kitty litter...her dog actually uses it but they have been doing it since she was a puppy
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 7:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• if anyone says it works i'm willing to try it on my shih tzu who is is extremely hard to potty train.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• It does work, but training is needed or else your dog will think he is just being allowed to poop in the house. If you ever find him pooping, try placing the poop in the pan for a day so your dog will smell it and go there... Praising and treats work well too.
    You can also buy newspaper instead of using the litter. Works just as good. A lot cheaper.

Small dogs should be kept inside in cold weather so this invention was well thought out and a great idea.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 12:57 AM on Jun. 24, 2009