Did you have to put up a deposit when you got your cell phones?

I have had my cell phones since 2003 with cingular, (at&t), but latley i havn't been getting good reception in lots of places. Same on hubbys and they are on the same plan so it isn't just my phone. So i was going to switch over to verizon cause it shows they have good service in this area. But when i was ordering it was asking for a $250.00 deposit for two lines. Is that normal now for phone companies? I guess i will stay with at&t for now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• Most cell companies require a deposit if you don't have perfect credit. Although when I went with US Cellular, I only had to pay $50 for two lines. Here's an option if you're interested. This company doesn't require a deposit and they are partnered with Verizon, so they use verizon's towers and have great reception. www.mywirelessrep.com/jpierce.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• they check your credit and go off that, and if your late loke on one payment then they keep it, at least thats what I was told at the cell phone place.
    Do you have a service called cricket there?
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:10 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• No, but my bff had verizon, and they required 500 bucks for each line. She had two. She got it back after making one yrs worth of payments on time.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:12 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• It is all based on your credit rating.... my credit isn't the greatest so I went with AT&T. They had the lowest deposit for me ($100) but now I am having the same problem you are having with bad reception. I also am having trouble with the customer service as far as getting my phone replaced under warranty.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:19 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• we switched from AT&T to verizon about 3 years ago and we were not required to provide a deposit.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Yes. $900 for a family plan (Verizon Wireless). I about died but had no choice as its the only company that we get signal at our house.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 3:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• OMG, babycakes that is terrible. Did you ask them why so expensive. Did you have more than 2 lines. I have to say i would not have been able to do that. Heck i couldn't even do a deposit period. But that seems like robery. Atleast you got phones though.
    Anonymous