How do you pay an employee?

My cousin is looking at moving in with me in Alaska from WI. She wants me to hire her as a helper at my home daycare. I would love to but what are the rules on hiring someone to help. Where do I go to find the rules? How do I pay her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• Are you a licensed day care? If not then you make the rules and the parents need to know who she is and have her write a paper on herself, About pay that's on you. If you are licensed then you need to call the state you live in.

Anonymous

• If you don't already have a federal tax id number (fein), you can get one at www.irs.gov.
    The easiest way to calculate the various payroll taxes is with accounting software; you can buy a copy of peachtree complete on ebay for around $20 (it is far better than quickbooks). You will also need to get workers compensation insurance; probably make an adjustment to your liability insurance, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2009