Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you pay an employee?

My cousin is looking at moving in with me in Alaska from WI. She wants me to hire her as a helper at my home daycare. I would love to but what are the rules on hiring someone to help. Where do I go to find the rules? How do I pay her?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (2)
  • Are you a licensed day care? If not then you make the rules and the parents need to know who she is and have her write a paper on herself, About pay that's on you. If you are licensed then you need to call the state you live in.


    Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • If you don't already have a federal tax id number (fein), you can get one at
    The easiest way to calculate the various payroll taxes is with accounting software; you can buy a copy of peachtree complete on ebay for around $20 (it is far better than quickbooks). You will also need to get workers compensation insurance; probably make an adjustment to your liability insurance, too.

    Answer by rkoloms at 2:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.