positive strep B test concerns

I was told today at my 38 wk appt. that it came up positive, I didn't think about these questions till just now.
What if my water breaks at home , will the baby be ok ? with out getting the iv till i get to the hospital ?
And is strep B curable ? I don't completely understand what it is or how i got it.
I read up on google but can someone re-explain please.

babymomma4

Asked by babymomma4 at 2:17 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• They'll give you an IV with antiobiotics when you're in labor. You'll be fine
    Anonymous

• everybody has type B strep in their bodies. The OB's test late in pregnancy to see just how much you have in yours. Your water breaking has nothing to do with the type B strep so dont worry about that one at all! Being type B strep positive just means that you will need IV meds during labor. When you get to the hospital make sure you tell the nurses that you are Type B strep and they should start the meds fairly quickly. They take about 1/2 hour to administer and they wil give you the meds every 4 hours. They like at least 2 doses in but you will be ok if you only get one dose in
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Basically you just need to have some iv antibiotics before the actual birth. I'm not sure how long they need to be running, but as long as you get some before delivering your baby will be fine. Strep B is something that can come and go over the years. I tested + with all my babies, but it is possible to test + with one and - with another.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I was + with my first child and my water broke at home so there is nothing to worry about. They tried to give me the antibiotic kind of fast because my water had broke and they wanted to get more than one dose in and when they did that it burned but I just called in a nurse and she backed it off and it was fine. Dont sweat it you will be fine.
    Anonymous

• wow this is really sucky.
    babymomma4

Answer by babymomma4 at 2:48 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• its really not that bad at all! I only had time for one dose with my son and he was fine! My friend didnt even have time for a dose and her baby turned out fine too
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2009