What do you have them pay or do for chores?

I have a son who just graduated from high school. I have always paid his cell phone bill, all of his gas and any expenses he had or wanted within reason.
He does work now and he is going to college this fall.
My question is when do I stop paying for his cell phone and other bills?
I made an agreement with him if he would cut grass I would continue paying his cell phone bill. Well, my grass is knee high and I cannot stand it and I have mentioned to him 2 times this week. He also has a fishing boat and has time to fish but no chores?? I am getting worried!!!
Help??

JLynn0871

Asked by JLynn0871 at 2:19 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• I would start slowly by making him work for the cellphone etc, until it was all his responsibility. They have to learn sometime! I wish my parents had done that with me.. when I got out on my own I had no clue how to pay my bills and had to learn the hard way (which meant lots of Ramen noodles for about 3 months!)
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 2:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Take his phone until the grass is mowed.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• You said you would pay for the cell if he mows the lawn. He's not mowing......sounds pretty cut and dry to me.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I would pay someone else (preferably a young man near his age or YOUNGER!!) to do the yard sna tell your son, I can't do the cell phone bill this month- I paid it to the neighbor for the grass which was more than it should have been because it had grown so high.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 2:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• my son is almost four and he picks up his toys, helps load dryer, picks up loundry, helps me with yard work etc. and I give him a treat, I want him to know that nothing comes for free in life.
    With your son if he didn't cut the grass don't pay his cell phone bill, and if he don't like that show him the grass, it's good for them to learn that nothing comes free in life sooner then later or else he will have a hard time later in life.
    Not trying to be rude about it if it sounds that way. Good luck
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:27 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My kid don't get paid for chores they get rewarded with other things! We do give them money from time to time. I feel that they live here to and they should do chores and help clean up their messes due to that is teaching them responsibility. I have a son who will be able to drive in September and we told him that we would help get him his first car but he has to get a job to pay for the insurance and for his own gas even when he is in school he could work part time due to he needs to learn responsibility. If your son has graduated I would sit him down and tell him that he needs to pay for his own gas and phone bill! He is an adult now and needs to learn responsibility. He has no other bills to pay not rent, utilities, home insurance, food, ect! He needs to learn responsibility!!

Anonymous

• I have to say I should have started when he was younger. I have a 21 yr old and he was fine and pays his bills great. I am not saying this child is spoiled or is a bad kid. He was an honor student and football star, etc. His college is paid for also thru schorships.
    I just want him to know how to pay his bills like Emuu said.
    I do not want to make him HATE paying his bills. I want him to know how to work for his money and pay his bills, etc...
    I think what I am doing is ok and he will realize when I tell him his cell phone will be mine if he doesnt start putting forth the effort. In a nice way. I have 4 more sons after him so by the last one, I should be a PRO! LOL... ThHanks!
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 2:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2009