When to start foods

My son is 4 1/2 months he is very interested in food.... he always watches me and my husband eat... I have tried cereal once... he spit most out.... should I try baby food or just continue to try cereal? He is a big boy... born at 9 lb 6 ozs now around 20 lb...

roberts_mommy09

Asked by roberts_mommy09 at 2:23 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would stick with rice cereal. Once he can take bites and swallow regularly you can slowly introduce some stage 1 baby foods and other cereals.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 2:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Really it is not advised to start food so early. The digestive system is still really immature and solids can cause a lot of havok on such a small tummy. It is best to wait until at least six months to begin solid food. At that age, they are interested in everything, it doesn't really mean he wants it, and the fact that he spit it out is his way of saying he isn't ready.
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 5:13 PM on Jun. 23, 2009