Dropping kids (ages almost 3 and 5) off for VBS???....

Our church (that I have been attending since 2002 and my DH all his life) is having VBS this week. Well yesterday my baby (12 months) was restless and I knew that there was no way I could sit there with her for 3 hours. So I made the decision after an hour to just go home and come back and pick up the kids at 12. My kids are comfortable there and everyone knows them.

Well my MIL calls later and asks like it was terrible that I just "left them". I knew they were safe and I didn't think anything else of it.

Was I wrong to have just dropped them off, or should I have stayed with a crying baby/toddler???

ratchetlee

Asked by ratchetlee at 2:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• Ok Rachel I did not read any of the replies, but our VBS we are ASKED to leave the children at the gym at 9a and pick up at 12p....we are NOT to stay :-) So of course I see nothing wrong!
    Josef1129

Answer by Josef1129 at 6:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Oops, sorry that's "acts" like it was terrible, not "asks", LOL.
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 2:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My kids are 3 & 4 and I stayed with them. I believe at our VBS, kids have to be 4 to be left alone.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 2:31 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Isn't it a MIL's job to act like shes holier than thou? They're your kids, not hers. If you and the supervising adult were comfortable leaving them there then why does her opinion matter?
    frizzed

Answer by frizzed at 2:32 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• No, its not terrible. At our VBS Most of the parents did the same thing.... unless you were a volunteer to help during VBS, they weren't counting on you to be there anyway.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:35 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• If there was enough supervision, and the workers knew you were leaving (and knew how to contact you in case of emergency), I see nothing wrong with it. I worked at VBS at different churches for YEARS and rarely had the parents stay unless they were one of the volunteers!!! =)
    TwinMomma122304

Answer by TwinMomma122304 at 2:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• When my girls were that age I left them too. Our church had plenty of adults and for the little ones like your kids the older girls (7th and 8th grade) buddy up with them. Isn't the VBS a camp for them to enjoy and a few hours of peace for you? I agree with frizzed MIL's always have something to say.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 2:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• IMO, it's just like letting them go back to Sunday School. I don't think there is any problem with it and your MIL is being rude.

MorganBrooke

Answer by MorganBrooke at 2:48 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Your MIL didn't SAY it was terrible, she was probably just asking why you did it. Maybe she didn't understand. It sounds like u explained it to her so she gets it.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 3:01 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• >>Your MIL didn't SAY it was terrible, she was probably just asking why you did it. Maybe she didn't understand. It sounds like u explained it to her so she gets it. <<

But today she called to ask how it went and then said "You didn't leave them today did you?"
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 3:05 PM on Jun. 23, 2009