Why do parents not make their teens pay for their vehicles?

It amazes me the amount of parents that do not expect their kids to earn their vehicles. What is this teaching these kids? I told my 14 year old if he wants a new car he will pay for half of it. He got off his butt and got a job so he could do this. Have you done this or are you going to when your kid is old enough?

ronjwake

Asked by ronjwake at 2:30 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We don't plan to buy our kids any cars. My parents sure didn't buy me one. In fact my parents only had 1 car when I was growing up. There was like maybe 5 years of my life that we had 2 cars otherwise it was just the one because it's all we could afford. There were 4 drivers for 1 car so we learned to share when I was a teen. I didn't get my first car until I met my husband when I was 22. Then I started driving his truck. I bought my first car 2 years later when we got our van because I was pregnant with our 2nd child and you can't fit 2 car seats in Ford Ranger.

My brother didn't get his own car until he was in his mid-20s and bummed it off a friend for a few hundred dollars.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:51 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I paid for all of my cars, insurance, and all. I do believe my parents gave me a cell phone or pager (they wanted to know where I was of course) but the car thing, I don't think they would have minded toting me around and me NOT having a car. I had to save for those. Not even for half. the entire amount. My 1st car was $3,000.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 2:32 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My parents made me pay for my car and for my insurance. It was a $700 clunker! After I had it for a while and I was working steady, my Dad helped me get a slightly better car financed. I plan on doing the same with my kids.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:33 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I guess it is all about personal decisions.. I would expect my boys to be able to buy their own cars, but if they need help and I have the money i'm glad to do what youre doing, half and half. Their insurance and other fees would be up to them though. It does teach children responsibility.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 2:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I think DH and I decided that we would pay for their vehicle, but they would have to pay us back for it. And they will not be getting some expensive sports car. We will buy them something sensible so that they will have a way to get back and forth to their job, and when they get paid, they will have to pay us. We will determine their monthly payment when it gets closer to that time. They're only 3, 2 and not even born yet. lol. We still have a while.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 2:35 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I don't know, it depends on the kid. If they are on their way to earning a scholarship and have days packed with classes, practices, and homework, I would probably pay for their car. It would probably help out with driving chores.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:35 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I paid for mine, and my kids will at least pay for 1/2 of theirs. I'm like this on most things. You will have necessities and Christmas and Birthday gifts. You want the $100 jeans for school? I'm willing to buy you $30 jeans, so if you want them fine ,but you're paying the other $70. Outside of that, you may buy things on your own. My daughter doesn't ask for things when we go to the store. I am specific "We are going to the mall because Mommy needs shoes" and anything that is not mommys shoes we don't buy. They won't know about their own college funds until the time is right, as they should strive for good grades and scholarships.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 2:35 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Sorry but my daughter will be limited on the jobs she can have when she is a teenage so I plan on paying for half of it but since she already has a grand in the bank I think she will have enough for half the car and then we will pay insurance. I don't think it is about weather or not they pay for the car but weather or not it is treated as a privilage or a entitlement.
    Luvmylittlegrl

Answer by Luvmylittlegrl at 2:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My son is only one- but its funny two days ago my husband and I had this conversation. We agreed when the day comes we will meet whatever our son (future kids) has to put down for a car. If they have 2,000 we'll meet them and give 2,000 so they can afford a 4,000 vehicle up to 5,000. They will pay for insurance and they will pay for gas.

My dad bought me a camaro for my 16th birthday. It was gorgeous! It was red, it was in real good condition low miles. A year later, it was no longer good enough for me and I wanted a SUV. So they sold it... and instead of buying me something for what they got for the car I wouldn't settle for anything less than a Jeep Liberty 4x4. Then a year and half later, I had my son and I was about to get married and I wanted a new car and I refused to get something we could pay cash for- I had to have a pontiac g6. My parents bought me anything I wanted and it resulted in me being a spoiled brat.. con
    Anonymous

• my dad bought me my first vehicle for my 16th b-day, but by no means was it a "new" car...it cost him about $1500 && I was responsible for insurance, gas, maintenance, etc.

I plan on doing the same thing with my son. I will buy him his first car, but it won't be a new one && he will also be responsible for everything else. If he doesn't want to get a job to pay for insurance, gas, etc. then he just won't be driving.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 2:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2009