how much should a 6 month old weigh and be healthy?

my almost 6 month old baby boy weighs 20-21 lbs. and family members worry that its not healthy.

HRLsMOMMY09

Asked by HRLsMOMMY09 at 2:35 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• are they worried he is too big??

Each child grows very differently. Talk to his Doctor and if the Doc isn't concerned, then you shouldn't be either.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• He is fine. My son weighed less, but, yours isn't way big.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Your doctor knows what is healthy and not healthy if something seems wrong your doctor should have recommendations on what to do. My daughter went from the 50th percentile to the 5th so we had to see an endocrinologist for a year. Turns out she is just a skinny girls but healthy all her other growth was in the 75th percentiles. So if your doctor is happy then your child should be fine. If you are truly worried get a second opinion from another doctor.
    Luvmylittlegrl

Answer by Luvmylittlegrl at 2:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• mine have ranged from 18pounds to 10 pounds....if baby's happy and healthy and growing...then I wouldn't worry about it.

there are charts and all that but every kid is different - look at my three. lol
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• That depends on the BABY. There is no "one weight fits all."

It can also depend on feeding method. A breastfed baby gains 4-6 ounces a week.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:43 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My son is big too. He's just 7 months and 21.5 pounds. Baby fat isn't the same as grown-up fat. It's easier to lose and stores a lot of healthy nutrients that are released when baby loses the fat. They start crawling and walking and the chub goes away, but the weight might not. Don't worry, but I agree that if you're worried you could always ask your doctor.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 2:58 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• All babies are different. My daughter was 15 lbs at 10 months. Eventually her weight caught up with her and she is a healthy 4 year old but her docs thought she should be weighing more (I begged to differ). As long as he is healthy , don't worry about it.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 3:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• my six month old son weighs 20lbs and is 28 inches long. pediatrician says he is growing beautiflly and great. you shouldnt worry.
    DESOUSAMOMMY

Answer by DESOUSAMOMMY at 6:01 PM on Jun. 23, 2009