What do you do during the summer and it is too hot to go outside?

Today there is a ozone warning..two of my kids have severe asthma. It is barely two here and we have had family play time and family craft time. Now they are watching tv. Anything to do? This is only the second week of summer and I am out of ideas. Oh yeah we do the summer reading programs too at the library. Story time is on Thursdays...but I don't have a car and it will be too hot for them to walk.

sweetpea532

Asked by sweetpea532 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would see what the come up with on their own. My kids always amazed me, especially my 10 yo DD. She has to be playing constantly, but she knows how to play by herself too. It is an important skill to learn. But you could try baking cookies (if you have air conditioning) or something "grown up" like that. How about games? My kids love games like UNO, Old Maid, Crazy Eights, or if they are younger Candy Land, Connect Four, Shoots and Ladders. Or simpler games that you can make up. Like hide some of their favorite toys and play scavenger hunt or make a treasure map to find it.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 2:57 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• We go to the library on days it is not story hour as well and they play on the computer (there aren't as many kids on those days) and choose stories. Make a fort, play hide and seek, london bridge, ring around the rosie...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 2:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• my kids do crafts, watch movies, go "swimming" in my garden tub, bake cookies, play on the computer...
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Oh yeah.... we make forts too. My youngest discovered a few days ago that a fitted sheet thrown over the floor vent makes a cool air "bubble" tent. If your vent blows hard enough it will blow the sheet up like a balloon.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:44 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• You can also rearrange their bedrooms, help them make a block tower, do puzzles...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 2:48 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• why don't you do story time at home,
    you can also go online and print of coloring pages so they can color,
    you can play school with them and teach them there abc's or what not
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Ooh I like the scanvenger hunt suggestion! Thanx!
    sweetpea532

Answer by sweetpea532 at 4:43 PM on Jun. 23, 2009