Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Back Child Support Question

Is it true that if a person owes back child support, they'll take their WHOLE pay check until they get that caught up?


Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • Laws vary by state, but I don't know of any state that permits the entire check to be taken. Generally a wage assignment or garnishment will be for the current child support amount plus a certain percentage toward the arrears (in AR, it is generally an additional twenty percent of the current obligation amount). Be advised, though, that while a paycheck cannot be taken in its entirety, a garnishment on a bank account will result in the entire balance being seized up to the balance owed. Also, child support enforcement agencies have other collection methods at their disposal which may include license suspensions, credit reporting, federal and state tax refund intercepts, contempt motions, etc. LOL, probably more info than you needed (I used to be a child support attorney)

    Answer by nathansmom0400 at 4:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • nope, the federal goverment has a rule that you can only get up to 50% of their paycheck.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • H-No! would be nice..if im not mistaken they can take your whole tax return IF they file the IF loophole....depending on which state your may not recieve money until your 90...GL...NC is so far behind its not even funny!

    Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2009