SAHM's would you get a job?

If you are currently a SAHM please answer this for me. I am currently a SAHM. We are very, very tight on money. My husband said he will get a second job, which I think is great. Someone else told me I should get a job working opposite shifts of my husband so he doesn't have to work 2 jobs. I don't want to get a job. It's been 5 years since I've worked and being a SAHM is my job. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would go and get just a part time job in the evenings and on weekends or something. I would never make my husband have 2 jobs and me not have any that just doesn't seem fair. You would probably enjoy the adult interaction too.
    Katie0224

Answer by Katie0224 at 3:10 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Do what you feel you need to. I am currently in the same situation and the way I see it is raising our boys the right way and giving them the love and attention that they deserve from parents IS my job. I don't get paid in money but I do get paid with love right back! Yes money is tight but the Good Lord always sees to it that we get what we need..... :)
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 3:10 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• If you husband doesn't mind getting a second job, and would like you to stay home, then I'd stay home. My SO has said the same thing to me, that he'd get a second job if need be because he likes that I stay home with the boys.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 3:11 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• We are going through this. We have a $1,000/mo rent! 450 car payment among other things...My husband is working but money is still tight. So I am looking into a job, however my kids are in school anyway,so it is about that time! Also, either way, we would have to have backup care in case the place I do work at requires extra hours.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 3:11 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I'm a stay at home mom. I'd try to get by with my husband having two jobs if he second job allowed him at least four hours of sleep pretty routinely , at least, between jobs. Do you have a foodtown near you? They give points that you save to bring down groceries on a future date for some items plus earning two different specific numbers of points you can buy either a 10 dollar gift certificate or a 25 dollar gift certificate. And I think they double coupons up to 99 cents. Even with out that the points are great.

If your kids are in school can you get a job while they're in school? Being a home health aid for a nursing agency can let you set your own hours five days a week usually. I know it's hard, I agree.
    Anonymous

• If I was able to get enough sleep during the day, probably. But if I couldn't get enough sleep, if I worked a job all evening or overnight and then had to care for my kids all day while hubby was working - probably not. Mom still has to sleep. But kids need Dad too. If the 2nd job was a short term thing, a year or less, that's one thing. Longer than that really deprives the kids of a Dad.
    It's a hard balancing act and each family has to find it's own balance.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:13 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• YES you need to get a job woman. I think its so messed up that you would expect your husband to work TWO jobs so you can stay at home. You can at least get a part time daycare or waitress job, something to help the family out in these hard times. My husband and I both work full time and we wouldn't have it any other way.
    Amberfire82

Answer by Amberfire82 at 3:15 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Yes and that is exactly what I did. I work part time- 2nd shift. So we don't have to do daycare/babysitter. I would never ever let my husband get a second job. He works his butt off period, I wouldn't expect him to work his butt off even more.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 3:15 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• We lived very tightly until I could get a part time job as soon as the children were in school. It helped with the money and also got my foot in the door, plus I was able to build up social security. It is easy to get burned out by working too much, I wouldn't want my husband to run this risk. But this is just my own situation and opinion.

Answer by Bmat at 3:16 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Well as a working mother I do not see how it's fair for a child to NOT have a father around. Isn't that what being a parent is about? I do everything I can to earn my share of our house and YES I have to work to provide for my family, that's just the way it is. If I had the priviledge of being able to stay home and we hit hard times you bet your ass I'd be getting a damn job. It's a responsibility as a PARENT (BOTH PARENTS) to ensure your children are provided for.

mommyslate

Answer by mommyslate at 3:16 PM on Jun. 23, 2009