Did any of you ever had to nurse a baby animal?

This kitten was given to me by a friend and its a little cute lil thing. I nurse it milk with a syringe and she is taking it rather well. She acts just like a newborn baby! She wakes up in the middle of the night and starts crying and I get her and feed her the milk just like a baby. This is my first time doing this and its a great experience. We named her tutti and Ive already fell in love with her.

diamondmamma

Asked by diamondmamma at 3:18 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Pets

• "They actually make formula for kittens as well as bottles with nipples too."

That is what we got when I had to nurse a kitten. Most pet stores have these supplies on hand and they are relatively cheap.

I was also given a newborn puppy to care for when its mother died. I used a regular bottle for him and a puppy formula that I made at home (got the recipe online)

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 4:12 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My hubbys cousin has horses. Well her horse trainers horse had a baby horse, but the mommy horse died at birth :( so they had to take turns feeding it. Every two hours they had to feed it so they would take turns. Every other day they would switch so even in the middle of the night hubs cousin would go bottle feed the horse.. and shes only 15. I thought that was incredible!
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 3:22 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My mom and I have 2 1/2yo cats. They were abandonned at just a few days old and we bottle-raised them. They're probably the most spoiled cats in the world. They were only 2 of 4 though. Unfortunately, two didn't make it. It was a very difficult, yet rewarding experience.

sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 3:31 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• How old is the kitty? You will also have to help her go potty by rubbing her "parts"..I would also be getting her regular weekly check ups with the vet to make sure she is gaining the weight that she should. I'm an old farm kid and I have hand raised many a little animal. They actually make formula for kittens as well as bottles with nipples too.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I thought you meant with your breasts. lol Eeeew!

My kid sisters nick name as a kid was Tutti, because she was my mom's little fart. It is a cute name for a kitty!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• We had a preemie litter of kittens last year, and no way to buy kitten formula. I called my vet, and he asked if by chance I had any breastmilk on hand. LOL I fed them that and they thrived!!!! (Yes it was my milk)
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:19 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Yes I had a kitten I had to do this to. She was the best! It was tricky getting her to drink "normally" though.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:59 AM on Jun. 24, 2009