my ob did a pap and

he did a papsmear because they didn't do one at the beginning of the pregnancy like normal, I was already 30 weeks when it was done. Anyways at the next appointment i found out the results were abnormal, but that the hpv was negative. So he said nothing to worry about since i was pregnant. But what would have made it abnormal? A yeast infection maybe?He didn't seem concerned at all. Didn't tell me to take anything or do anything. Should i be worried. Should i try over the counter monistat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Your cervix is continually changing. There are a lot of non-cancerous, non-worrisome changes that occur all the time. If it wasn't HPV, then there is really nothing to worry about.
    Anonymous

• ^^ Exactly.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 3:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Go with what your doctor said, and don't self- medicate with the doctor's OK. If the doctor isn't concerned, then you don't need to be.

Answer by Bmat at 3:22 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• same thing happened to me, except it was at one of my pp checkups. they didn't seem overly concerned and told me to just come back for my yearly visit.

I had abnormal results, but was negative for the major forms of HPV.
    Anonymous

• if there were somthing for you to worry about your o.b. would have told you. i wouldnt self medicate, not while prego at least. just call them up and ask them whats goin on. good luck =)
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 3:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Oh my gosh yes a yeast infection could alter your pap results. Call the office and ask if it is a yeast infection. If it is and YOU don't feel safe using monistat then eat lots of yogurt. Yogurt will help put back the healthy bacteria your body needs. Good Luck.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 3:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• yeast infection or bacterial infections (like vaginitis) can cause a PAP result to be abnormal but the doctor would know why. Monistat is perfectly safe in pregnancy, as long as you are not dilated and your plug is still intact, but the doctor should have told you if it was a yeast infection. Typically they dont do anything with an "abnormal" PAP until you get 2 in a row. So my guess is that they will retest you after the baby is born and then go from there. You might have some pre-cancerous cells that need to be removed but you can get faulty abormal results so most doctors dont do anything about it til you get 2 in a row
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2009