How does your faith affect your belief in medicine?

I think I have asked something like this before (maybe anon?) But I wonder how your faith influences your perspectives on medicine.

Do you trust western medicine, or do you think it is a corrupt pharmeceutical business?

Do prefer alternative treatments, or do you think they are just dumb superstitions?

Do you vaccinate? Do you go to the chiropractor? do you believe in accupuncture/pressure? Healing with foods?

Do you pray and seek a miracle from God first? Or only prayer?

Do you have any stories of being healed by God, or doctors, or natural remedies?

How does your faith in whatever you believe in affect your view on health?

I am interested in everyone's opinion, but please be nice : )

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 3:27 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm VERY selective about treatments. I don't trust doctors much, but I do trust God. The pharmaceutical business is corrupt. I won't use ANY new medicines, unless I'm diagnosed with an illness that's likely to kill me anyway. I prefer preventative medicine and natural treatments to medicines which too often list death and other debilitating illnesses as side effects. We selectively vaccinate. I have a child "on the spectrum", though we don't know "for sure" that it was caused by vaccines I'd rather be safe than sorry. I've never needed a chiropractor. I'm not sure about acupuncture, a bit too "New Age" for my tastes. I do believe in the preventative power of a healthy diet, and the importance of a good diet in recovering from any illness. I pray first because no matter how good the medicine, Jesus is the true Healer. :) I don't believe that we should only pray for a miracles because my blessing may lie in the doctor's hands.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 4:14 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I deleted the first question, because I accidentally selected anonymous instead of email me. So I just re-did it ; )

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• well crap... I'm not writing my answer all out again! LOL

Cliff's Notes Version: My faith plays no role in my belief(s) in medicine.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 3:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I am soooo sorry laura : (

I thought I caught it before anyone saw it.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:30 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Yeah... I'm quick like that... :-P
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My beliefs dont play a role.
    I always prefer trying alternatives to regular meds, if I can. But I have no issues taking reg. meds from a dr prescription if needbe. My kids are vaccinated(except my youngest is behind).

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:33 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My faith has nothing to do with my belief in medicine. I believe the knowledge the doctors have comes from Mother and Father God (and other spirits back home) anyway, so it doesn't really matter. Does that mean I don't think there are people out there who are corrupt? No. There are people and companies who are only in it to make money. And, I believe in a holistic approach to medicine. If one thing doesn't work, why not try somenthing different. Not every pill will work the same way for everyone. I do vaccinate and I have been healed by both Father and Mother God and human doctors. The stories are to many and to long to share, but it has happened.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 3:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Does anyone who has eastern beliefs, practice eastern medine?
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Well since my friend here doesn't ask simple questions, I'm going to copy and paste so I don't forget stuff. I am a born again Christian.
    Do you trust western medicine, or do you think it is a corrupt pharmeceutical business? I trust western medicine.
    Do prefer alternative treatments, or do you think they are just dumb superstitions? I am willing to try some. For example using st. Johns wort for depression, or niacine for cholesterol.

Do you vaccinate? Do you go to the chiropractor? do you believe in accupuncture/pressure? Healing with foods? Yes to vaccines, no need for a chiropractor or accupuncture but have seen it help others, foods possibly but not exclusively.

con't
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I trust Western medicine to a degree, but I also think it is a corrupt pharmaceutical business, and that sometimes making money on the next big designer drug is more important to them that the immediate or far-reaching unexpected affects on consumers. I have also had good results from certain herbal or homeopathic treatments, and I tend to be a very skeptical person, so I don't really go into these things convinced it'll be some cure all, and delude myself into believing it worked. Likewise, if it does work for me, and some study shows it doesn't have that benefit at all, well, I can't help that. As long as it works and produces no harmful side-affects, I stay with it. I believe there is merit to food-based healing/prevention, but not enough to give up my bad diet to eat foods don't like - which is most healthy foods.

I have no prayer or god-related medical stories because I have never believed in any sort of god.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 3:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2009