Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Give 30 days' notice to current landlord without having another apartment lined up??

I receive a HUD/Section 8 voucher, and now that my dd is getting older, I need to find a 2 bedroom apt. The problem is that in order to get the voucher for a 2 bedroom, I have to show proof that I gave my current landlord 30 days' notice of my intent to move. Then and only then will I get the 2 bedroom voucher.

Would YOU give your landlord 30 days' notice if you didn't have another apartment lined up? I don't really want to do that...if I was just me, I would risk it, but with a 1 year old, I don't feel I can. What if I don't find another apartment in 30 days? You know what I mean?

My options are to stay in the one bedroom with my growing child, or give notice of my intent to move and try like hell to find another apartment before the 30 days is up...

What would you do? Any advice?

No judgements please. I am disabled...I will be returning to work (hopefully) in 6 months. I am not cheating the system.


Asked by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • Depends on where you live, but 30 days is a long time. At least to me... we are expected to find a place to live in a new place within 10 days of arriving. That's stressful, 30 days isn't stressful at all.

    Before you give your notice, all you have to do is do some research and find a place that you want to move into that accepts HUD and talk to them about if they'll have an opening, explain your situation. Tell them the truth, that you're worried about giving notice and then not having a place to live. You'd be surprised how people will work with you, even if you don't have your voucher yet. And then turn in your 30 days notice and get your voucher and give it to the new place.

    Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 4:13 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • can you get a 2 bedroom with your current landlord?
    if not, look now. once you find one you think will work, give your landlord 30 days notice, then let section 8 know so you can get the new voucher.

    Answer by austinsmama1106 at 3:57 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • OP

    I forgot to mention: the apartment complex I currently live in only has one bedroom apartments,

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • Explain the situation to your current landlord.

    Answer by Starfire73 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • Go ahead and give the 30 day notice. If you do not find another apartment in 30 days most apartments will let you do a month to month. Good Luck!

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • I don't know how section 8 works, like is there a waiting list? I've given 30 days notice before without knowing where I was going. It doesn't take that long to find a place. But I don't know about section 8.

    Answer by feesharose at 4:35 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • do you have any friends or family that know of places that are renting? the shortest time it took us to rent a place was 14 days. Stupid question...could you look for a place that is renting for let's say septemeber? that way you can get the place...then give your landlord the notice and if it falls through on the voucher or it takes a little longer it gives u a extra month.

    Answer by sweetpea532 at 4:46 PM on Jun. 23, 2009