purchasing a puppy online

i've been looking for pups on sites like nextdaypets.com but am a little hesitant because i can't be 100% sure that i wont be scammed. pet shops are too expensive & its too hard finding a pup at a shelter. i dont want to adopt an adult because of the uncertainty of it's past (was it aggressive, etc..) has anyone ever gotten a dog over the internet. what was your experience like?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Pets

• If you get a puppy from an online source, you are most likely going to be getting a puppy from a puppy mill. Training a puppy is a huge effort and if you aren't willing to put out the effort involved in getting a pup from a shelter or finding a reputable breeder, then I don't think a puppy is right for you.
    Anonymous

• It is NOT too hard to find a pup at a shelter! GIVE A SHELTER PET A CHANCE! While you're off paying for a dog from a puppy mill somewhere that is mistreating the breeder bitches and keeping them caged up somewhere, and making a TON of money off of them, dogs are being euthanized in shelters because someone abandoned them. You can find young dogs at shelters all the time.
    Anonymous

• They have puppies at shelters all the time! Plus Petfinder.com is a good place to look.  Remember there is no such thing as a 'free' or 'low cost' puppy.  Don't forget to figure in food, vaccines and sick visits to the vet.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I am not bashing but why do you say it's to hard to get a puppy from a shelter? I volunteer at our local humane society and there are tons of puppies there. As for you question though I would not trust getting a puppy online. You don't know exactly where the pup came from. It could easily be a puppy mill or a BYB who do not have pups that are in the good health and you wouldn't find out untill you have already purchased the pup.

And for personal experience I adopted a dog from the pound and he is the most wonderful dog I've ever had. No aggression issues. Usually if you talk to the people at the shelter they'll let you know if the dog is alright for your family situation. That and you can usually check the dog out in a closed off room before you agree to take them home and make them part of your family. Also a lot of shelters do have a policy where you can return the dog if it's not working out for you and your fam
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 23, 2009