Help! I need Ideas for Decorating 12 year old boys room!

My son is turning 12 in a couple of months & his room is honestly really really bare and boring. He spends a lot of time in there & I want to make it a really fun/cool place for him and his friends to hang out in. He has out grown "themes" and is really into punk/rock music, japanese Animes, and soccer. Soccer is his main focus right now, but I've already asked him and he DOESN'T want a "sports" themed room at all. He just wants a chilled out place for him and his friends... Any ideas??

Oh ya, and we are definitely on a tight budget...

Any help would be great!

Thanks In Advance!!

Inkedmommy007

Asked by Inkedmommy007 at 3:57 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Let him choose for himself. Make it a fun weekend for the 2 of you together. Give him a budget & take him shopping all Saturday letting him choose what he wants within his budget. Have lunch together, talk about how funny it would be to give the dog a mohawk, lol... reconnect.

Then, on Sunday, decorate his room together.

That's what I'm doing with all my kids. We're getting a new house next yr &, for the first time, they'll all have their own rooms. Each kid gets their own weekend to choose their own "theme", go out & buy the stuff, and set it up. They're really looking fwd to it.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 4:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• what about an anime room? With different anime characters.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I am actually trying to do the same thing for my 11 year old son. I am thinking about doing everything checkered, possibly black and white, with blue accents. He likes to collect license plates from different states and I have seen some really cool car furniture. We'll see... oh yeah, he requested a black light too, you know, the ones that make white colors glow.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 4:13 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• We have a 9yr old & an almost 13yr old who share a room. We painted it a dark blue color and let them, their sisters & some of their friends dip their hands in paint (red, blue, yellow, green, orange & purple) and put handprints all over the walls. Came out great and they have fun picking out which handprint belongs to who.
    karen704

Answer by karen704 at 1:25 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I like painting one wall with blackboard paint, so that he can write all over his wall. Find different things that are "cool" and eclectic. Like my mom and dad have a street sign (obviously not vandalized) that says "Tornado Alley" that they gave my son. I would pick a color and work the room around that, but really its all about the room having his personality shine through. As long as the furniture is comfortable and functional, it will be fine. Make sure he has good lighting for playing games, studying, reading, etc. Also a "grown up" comforter set, works well too. Just look at a JC PENNY's catalog and you can see what I mean. The ones that shout "male" friendly. LOL Walmart and Target have their own versions of these too. But the catalog can give you ideas! If you are buying furniture, it should be furniture he can use when he moves out. At least a full size bed, if not a queen, depending on how tall he might get.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 6:22 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Kids his age need plenty of shelving for their personal items too. There are grown up themes too, though keep in mind. Like you could go for an old fashioned "Speakeasy" type look, or an Old English Study in dark greens, or black with all chrome furniture. Or red comforter set, and black lacquer furniture. But that might be a bit too old for him. Etc.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 6:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Paint and fabrics in whatever color he likes....Then use framed pictures and posters of the things he likes. The good thing is, they can be changed without re-decorating the entire room... I also agree about shelves...He can put what he likes and cares about on the shelves and that will make the room more personalized and "homey" for him. Even though he loves soccer, he probably sees that as more childish as a room theme....but he can put some soccer-related things on the shelves... Let him choose the stuff! Don't worry so much about whether or not you like it....his sensibilities are different from yours! Enjoy!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 11:02 AM on Jun. 25, 2009