How do your teens wake up? Alarm Clock? You?

My 15 yr boy is a sleeper would sleep 18 hrs a day if possible and is a pain in the A.. to get up. During the summer he has to be up by 10. During school he has to be up by 6:30. He is very mean when I go to wake h im up. Not sure what to do. Told him today that I tried to wake him up 3 times and he was mean to me and did not get up so I let him sleep. What to do? I then told him I would only go in 1 time and if he does not get up "his problem" I am tired of fighting with him. If he does not get up when school starts do I just let him sleep and suffer the consequences? Your thoughts?

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 4:11 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• i really think that you should be hard on him and i mean HARD make sure he knows your the BOSS not him hes still under the age and you would have to go through the consequences not him cuz hes still young..so tell him your going to wake up like it or not and your going to go to school and get there on time...if he still doesn't listen take some of his things away punish him don't buy him things he wants, don't let him go out with friends....etc things like that....
    I've only been a mother for 22 months but when i was younger my mom would do things like that and it worked on me...good luck
    13liz13

Answer by 13liz13 at 4:31 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I dont have that problem really, my DD is also 15 she sleeps at the latest 10 by her choice unless were on vacation and we were out really late. Though when school is in she wask up at 4:45 by her choice, she has an alarm clock that plays the radio instead of an alarm. and she puts it on as high as it can go, and she putts it away from her bed so that she has to get up to shut it off. I would say get him that. Then i wake up at 5:45 to make her breakfast. I believe we got hers at target it looks like a cube lol.
    Anonymous

• I would get a blow horn......my dad did that to me when i wouldnt wake up. that got me up!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 8:44 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Oh and about not wakin him up for school i wouldnt do that. When i was in school one of my classes if i was late a certin ammount of times to class it was an automatic fail! I almost messed that up. You dont want him to think that its ok. If he is having a hard time waking up then send him to bed early and if he still wont wake up in time for school then start to wake him up early so you know he wont be late. Thats what i would do but my son is only 3 weeks old. so i have a bit of time. Good luck!!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 8:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My about-to-be-9th grader has been getting herself up for at least two years. The past two years she had to be up at 5:15 and at the bus stop at 5:55.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I wake them up - I'm the only one with an alarm clock in my room...lol!

I think I would have to insist that my child wake up, and if they must be so mean to me when I woke them up, they wouldn't get to touch this computer all day long, and I sure wouldn't drive them around anywhere or pay for the stuff they want to do that costs money. That would work with my teens - they'd be on their best behavior if they knew I was about to drop all that on them...lol!
    MinstrelMommy

Answer by MinstrelMommy at 12:09 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• at 15 he is old enough to get his own butt out of bed. I have a 22 y.o. When he was in the first grade I bought him an alarm clock. I never had to 'wake' him up after that. Well for one thing he knew mom would wake his butt up will ice cold water.........yeah I only had to do it once and that was enough. He had 2 alarm clocks he went out & bought the second himself. One was set to music he hated, the other set to alarm they went off with in 10 minutes of each other & both were across the room one on his desk one on his dresser in order to shut them off he had to get out of bed, which helped to keep him from falling back to sleep. You need to have a talk w/ your son about respect for you and responsiblity for getting himself up. Remember teens do need more sleep than we do but he does need to get up on the agreed upon times. on weekends if my son didn't have plans I would just let him sleep we would see him at some point lol
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:05 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• cont;.... If your child is mean to you or disrespectful then he does deserve and should get a punishment. whether it is taking the computer away for a week or no friends/phone etc etc either way he needs to learn respect and should have a reminder as to who is the adult in the house. who is the parent and who is the child. Sounds to me like he needs to have more responsibilities around the house and more punishments for behaviors

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:09 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My 15yr old has an alarm clock. During school time, he gets himself up, dressed, fed and on the bus...along with his 9yr old brother. They decided they wanted to ride the bus to school and the bus runs at 6:55 at our house. I told them I wasn't getting up an hour early just to put them on a bus, but if they could get themselves up, then that was fine by me. Bought him the alarm clock, now, some mornings, I never even hear them leave. LOL! They've been doing this for about a year now. I'm pretty proud that my son can do this by himself.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 12:02 AM on Jun. 26, 2009