engagement ring question!??

what is an appropriate amount to spend on an engagement ring?
how much did your fiance/hubby splurge on you?

i want to get engaged real bad but my SO doesn't have the funds for the ring that i want. am i being selfish?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• Are you going to say no if he gives you a ring that is not the perfect ring but is what he could afford to give you? Or will you be ungrateful?
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 4:19 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My engagement ring was like $50 or so. They say that you should pay the equivalent of 3 months salary on a ring, but that is so that you have time to really think about it and are less likely to make a rash decision. I think that you should be happy that this man wants to spend the rest of his life with you and be less concerned about the token he uses to show that to you.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My DH sold a motorcycle to buy my engagement ring. The engaement ring was $6500.00. He knew what shape I wanted and I let him handle the rest. If you love this person and want to marry them then the $$$ of the ring shouldn't matter! Maybe you can get your dream ring down the road! You have to wear it forever, so it should be what you want!
    Anonymous

• My hubby spent nothing on my engagement ring. It was one right off of his finger. He had traded a dead moodring to his old BFF for it. It is stainless steel but I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. It is sentimental.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 4:57 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Im not married but i was engaged, my ring only cost $100 and it was gorgeous! it fit my style and my personality perfectly. we actually got it from a pawn shop. and no, the ring was not cursed, my ex was abusive before the ring, and abusive after the ring, but it took finally having my daughter to smack some sense into my head that i couldnt let her grow up seeing me abused and think that was okay.
    Pudge_Pie20

Answer by Pudge_Pie20 at 8:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I love the 2 month salary deal. It comes out nicely when your man has a 6 figure annual salary. But if he can't afford the ring you want you accept what he can get you. Remember it's going to affect both of your finances after you're married if he is still paying it off.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 7:52 AM on Jun. 24, 2009