My 15 mo/old has the runs!

OK...just so you know...we've been to the Doctor...

...but I would like some tried and true Real Life Mom suggestions as to what we can do to help her.

We've cut out fruits and most veggies from her diet temporarily...focusing more on grains and starches and dairy. (And of course breastmilk!)

She LOVES the Pedialyte freezer pops!

We've got prescription diaper cream...'cuz she also has diaper rash from hell! And I've been letting her run around outside bottomless to air her tushy out. (Great thing about dresses!)

Any other suggestions?

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 4:22 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Kids' Health

• "BRAT" diet
    Bananas
    Rice
    Applesauce
    Toast
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Pedialyte is all i can suggest. Our baby has been drinking the grape stuff. You are doing everything you can. you must be a good mom.
    jagrus

Answer by jagrus at 4:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Make sure she's hydrated, of course ample breast milk and water will take care of that. But be sure to watch for signs of dehydration.
    I'm a big fan of skipping ointment medication, they make matters worse. I suggest using extra virgin olive oil instead (I don't remember if you cloth diaper, OO is not compatible with cloth). That stuff is aMAYzing for diaper rashes. Breast milk on the butt is also healing.
    Other than that, I think you're doing great.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 4:30 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• hi, im a mother of 5 children- and im not a doctor- but speaking by experience, dairy products are the worse when your child has diarehhea! just thought i would let you know. you also said a rash from hell, you might want to make sure the rash hasnt turnt into a yeast infection, which happens pretty quickly. if its just a rash use lots of desitin( put vaseline over the desitin, too ) and keep her as dry as possible. good luck
    j-hunt

Answer by j-hunt at 6:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• The BRAT diet consists of foods that are relatively bland and low in fiber. Low-fiber foods were recommended as it was thought that foods high in fiber cause gas and possibly worsen gastrointestinal upset.[2]

A well-balanced diet is best even during diarrhea. Studies have however found that incorporating foods from the BRAT diet may reduce the severity of diarrhea.[citation needed] Applesauce provides pectin,[3] as does toast with grape jelly.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 11:44 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Sorry for the long comment. I've been there before. My son became severely ill when he was 14 months old and this helped immensely!!!
    Still stick with the pedialite though(NOT GRAPE!*long story, but ever since my son was ill I NEVER want to see, smell, look or taste ANYTHING grape again)
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 24, 2009