How to I answer the "Where to babies come from" question

So, my 51/2 year old asked how her brother "grew" in my tummy, so I was able to answer that one by saying through the cord and the food mommy ate. But then a couple days later, she asked, "but how did he GET there"... I am not comfortable telling her the DETAILS but I dont want to sugar coat it... what do I say?

madzachmom

Asked by madzachmom at 4:22 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Someone posted a picture book published in the 70's just yesterday --- I thought it was pretty cool, but not sure what you consider too much detail.

I know someone else saw that post.... where is it again?
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 4:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I think this is the book the pp was referring to...
    Photobucket
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:52 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• We bought it when we got pregnant with our second child. DS1 was asking questions. We left the book out for a couple of days, so he could look it over. Then I asked him if he would like me to read it to him. He said yes. I read it, when it got to the embarrassing part I told him the embarrassing part was coming up and I could skip it if he wanted me to. He did, but still wanted to know more, so I gave it to him with the simplest terms.
    We gave him the book and told him if he wanted to talk about it at all he could come ask us. He had it for a while, and we discussed it again when we got pregnant again a year later.
    Nathskitten

• These are a couple of pages from the book.
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:57 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My husband told our 5 year old that semen from the man, enters the woman's uterus and fertilizes an egg, and then a baby starts to grow. When he asked how the semen gets from the man to the woman, hubby said the man puts his penis in her vagina, and then ejaculates. Son's response was "Eww gross!"

Did our five year old understand everything about that? Probably not, but he didn't ask for clarification either. He was happy he got an answer, and next time he asks he will get the same answer. When my son doesn't understand something, he always asks for clarification sooner or later. I am comfortable talking to my boys about anything, and I always give them the most accurate answer I can provide.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 5:44 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Nope, different book.

I know that post is around here somewhere...... I just can't remeber where....
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My son has been asking this question a lot and I realized that he wasn't really interested in the intercourse of it. I asked him in response what he thought. He then explained to me his thoughts and went into an amusing story and by the time he was done he didn't even want to know the answer anymore. He was satisfied with me questioning his thoughts.

Sometimes we take simple questions and turn them into something that they really aren't ready to know. Sometimes the child does want to know and not that I agree with sugarcoating everything but leaving out certain things that other parents may feel is inappropriate might be in your best interest. Don't forget kids at this age go to school and share EVERYTHING!!
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 7:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Remember, honesty is the best policy.
    She will not believe you - truth truly is stranger than fiction. But she deserves (and wants) the truth. She will hear all sorts of stuff at school from older kids. She will hear all sorts of stuff at friends' homes from older siblings. There is no one "talk". There is a life time of discussion. The more honest you are with her early questions, the more she will trust your answers when she's a teen.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:11 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• too much information is hard for a child to process. Don't go into serious detail. I just told mine that daddy loves mommy and that he "gave" me the baby seed to grow for him. He never asked about it anymore. However he did go to church with my sister when I had my second child and told them I was at the hospital "pooping" his sister out! OMG, I never told him that!!!!!

Answer by admckenzie at 8:31 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Look through the books here.  Make sure the book you pick out is age appropriate (read the reviews too).  Look through  the pages to see them all http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?node=9&page=7  They are on the http://www.cjkidz.com/ site (Parents/Grandparents/Teachers page under the Puberty and Birds and Bees link).   You can bookmark it, 

momjs

Answer by momjs at 12:23 AM on Jun. 24, 2009