Has anyones baby had surgery? Share your experience...

My son was born with trigonocephaly, or c syndrome. This is caused when the baby is conceived it gets 45 or 47 chromosomes, instead of the normal 46. It causes the two front plates of the skull to close prematurely, they arent supposed to close until youre 5 years old. This happens to 1 in 3,500 babies. If the baby doesn't have surgery before they are one year old, they will end up with autism, because the front part of the brain would have no room to grow, causing developmental problems... Aidan had surgery when he was 7 months old. It was the scariest thing I have ever been through. There is NOTHING more terrifying than handing your child to the nurse on surgery day, nothing that makes you feel so small or helpless than watching the door close between you and your child, nothing that can calm your heart and mind until you hear the surgeon’s voice telling you that everything went well... And it did.. Share your story!

Chandra0723

Asked by Chandra0723 at 4:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Kids' Health

• http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.craniofacialcenter.com/book/craniosynostosis/images/Cranio_3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.craniofacialcenter.com/book/craniosynostosis/cranio_3.htm&usg=__9KlerMGbU8zV9bVyOvKBKR_CDxc=&h=510&w=320&sz=29&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=ADKns10xzHg3yM:&tbnh=131&tbnw=82&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtrigonocephaly%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26um%3D1
    to see what it looks like before and after... this is not my child btw.
    Chandra0723

Answer by Chandra0723 at 4:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• my 6 yo has had 8 surgeries to date and will be going back for another one in the next couple months. (next one will be the BAHA bone implant hearing aid)

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 4:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Nothing major here. My daughter went in for tubes and to have her adenoids removed. We were home the same day, but I was leery about having her put under! It's helped a lot, though.
    Anonymous

• Chandra0273 ---oh my gosh...reading your story made me cry. My son had surgery when he was barely 3 years old to have a feeding tube placed in his stomach. I'll never forget when the nurse took him from my arms, or the way he was looking at me and crying when they put the gas mask over his little face. I felt so helpless. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't think straight, I just knew that for the first time since his birth, I trusted a stranger to take care of him. It's THE single most terrifying moment of any parent's life. I remember standing outside the door after it closed between us, just staring at it. I couldn't move. The nurse came out and showed us to the waiting area, but my first and only stop was at the hospital chapel. I prayed so hard that day. Harder than I've ever prayed before. When the surgeon came out and said he was being moved to recovery and that everything had gone well, I finally broke down and cried
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 10:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• uncontrollably. I went through this again when he was 8 years old. I knew what to expect this time, but it wasn't any easier. The fear is just unimaginable...
    Right now, my throat has such a huge lump in it. Reading your story brought back so many memories of that time, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
    God Bless you and your family......
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 10:52 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My ds was born with club feet, he had to have surgery when he was 14 months old. The surgery was very sucessful, he is now 19. I do remember that day when the nurse took him from my arms to take him into the OR. It felt like she tore my heart out. The surgery took about 4 hours, but it seemed like a month!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 12:29 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My youngest had to have corrective surgery on both eyes just as he turned two. The nurse taking him from me, the long 2 hours of the surgery, and his crying as he was waking are about all I remember of December 1, 2008.

His surgery is minor compared to the others.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:11 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My 5 month old son has had 3 surgeries so far. He was born with esophageal atresia, his esophagus is not connected to his stomach. He was just 15 hours old when I had to leave at the operating wing doors. At that time we weren't sure of much of anything and we were terrified. And then when he was 2 weeks old he went in again. After that surgery he had a lung collapsed. And then when he was 3 weeks old he had his third surgery. He is scheduled to again have surgery in January and then another one somewhere between March and June. That latter one will be a big 4 hour or longer surgery. I am already worried about that one. They have to cut part of his stomach and form it into an esophagus. And that won't be the end of them. As he gets older, he may need even more surgeries on his esophagus, some on his spine, and maybe some on his ear.
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 10:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• My dd was born with a diaphragmatic hernia.. She has had 5 surgeries and is only eight months old.. You are so right.. Watching them take her way to surgery was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do.. It just breaks your heart..
    amygray

Answer by amygray at 10:52 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My son was also born with esophageal atresia and had surgery at 2 days old. I had barely recovered from a rough labor when I had to kiss him goodbye and hand him over to the surgeon and nurses. I was scared to death, but we had a great surgeon that I trusted. I just wanted to get the surgery over with and let the recovery get started. He was on a ventilator for a week afterwards as his esophagus and trachea healed, and we were unable to hold him and could hardly touch him during this time, as they were trying to keep him sedated. That was the hardest part...knowing my son was hurting and wanting his mom and not being able to comfort him. He is now a month old and doing great. He is a big eater, and we've had no other issues. I am so grateful to his surgeon for his successful recovery and thank God every day for my little blessing.
    lindsey116

Answer by lindsey116 at 10:24 AM on Jun. 22, 2010