Don't ask. Don't tell.

So how do you feel about that policy in the military? Do you think that if a homosexual (male or female) wanted to openly join any military branch and serve their county- would that be okay with you? Why or why not? How do you think other service members would feel about it? Do you think special requirments would have to be accommodated? Or should they be treated like everyone else?

Harmony0501

Asked by Harmony0501 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I dont have a strong opinion on this really. Im all for gay marriage and all taht live and let live. but with the military I think there are a lot of high up ranks that are older gentleman that dont quite accept homosexual people and so unfortuantly they would be treated different, i dont think the military is ready for that policy to go away. some are, but not everyone yet. so i think it would be best to wait to wait a few years for there to be more understanding and acceptance of it.
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 4:48 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• good point!
    Harmony0501

Answer by Harmony0501 at 4:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I think the policy is discriminatory and encourages people to be shameful of who they are.

I don't care who joins the military, just so long as they're responsible, pass their tests and do their job.

I don't consider how other service members feel about it. I've gone to school with people I can't stand and had co-workers I can't stand. My views on their personalities and life choices should have no bearing on whether or not they can be employed where I work when they are not breaking the law. While it is inevitable some other soldiers would treat them differently, we cannot permit the ignorance and intolerance of other people to affect how we treat people.

I think homosexuals should be treated like everyone else. The're not aliens from another planet, they're human beings.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:05 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• ANOTHER good point... i am SO on the fence about this one. i agree with both of the first two posts in different ways. i mean, obviously there WILL be some men/women that will say or do things during somethihgs like tech school or BMT where they are all living so close to eachother. should they be in seperate dorms to keep the peace?
    Harmony0501

Answer by Harmony0501 at 5:13 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My issue is men and women in the military are not allowed to stay together in order to avoid starting relationships that would distract them from their jobs. If gay men (or women) are allowed in the military to live with people of the same sex they are attracted too, it could cause problems and distractions. How can you let gay men (or women) stay with each other, but not a woman and a man who want to be together?

Anonymous

• What NovemberLove said.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 5:35 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I think it needs to be done away with. I am a former soldier, and I can tell you that the higher ups that are not ready for will never be ready for it. If gay people want to openly serve they should be allowed. Doing away with don't ask don't tell will not stop gay people from serving while in the closet if they wanted to, but it would stop the military from screwing veterans out of the retirement by dishonorably discharging people with purple hearts that served 18 years. Not only screwing them out of retirement and benefits, but from future employment because they just found out the service member was gay.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 5:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• See, I am on the fence with this one as well. I understand why it was put into place, and I can also see why it should go away. Alot of people would be scared to be in that close proximity to gay people because they would be worried that gay people would try to pressure them into doing something they don't want to do. What they don't understand is that gay or bi people (in general) don't try to force their lifestyles on everyone else. I am bi, and I can promise, I have several straight female friends that I have never and will never try to pressure into doing something they are uncomfortable with.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 6:19 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I think that it is discrimination flat out. I think it should be their decision to be open about their lives. I have a friend who is in the military who is gay but he has not told ANYONE in his unit because he doesn't wanted to be treated differently. It should be their choice to share that part of their life.

Anonymous

• i think its the most ridiculous policy the govt ever came up with. what does one's sexuality have to do with his/her ability to serve the country as military men/women? its not like gays/lesbians can't control themselves around other humans..anymore than straights can. besides, if the problem is trying to keep unwanted advances/attractions/distractions out of military housing arrangements, i guess we'd better get rid of quite a few military personnel altogether, gay or straight. its human nature to be attracted to another human. i don't care if you think its(homesexuality) normal/abnormal, in-born, or learned behavior; there are policies in place that prohibit fraternization. that should be that! JMO
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 6:49 PM on Jun. 23, 2009