for sahm moms would go from a two car family to one car family

to be able to afford to sahm with your child /children.i am doing this at this point... not easy but the time i have with my son is not replaceable..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm a SAHM because we can afford it, and we have 3 cars! Then again, we don't smoke, drink only occasionally, never eat out/go out, rarely travel (and usually only locally), so we save tons of money that way....it is all about priorities
    Anonymous

• I guess it depends on where you live, I live in the country and it would never work for me. But if you live in a city where you could walk to where you need to go, why not? Is there buses and taxi's where you live for things like grociery shopping and doctor appts.?
    Anonymous

• Yes. I'm a huge fan of Dr. Laura and she always says sell a car, get a smaller house. Do what it takes in order to raise your own kids.

My husband and I shared a car the first 3 years of our marriage. My parents shared one car for more than a decade. And we all live in rural/suburban Texas where everything is very spread out. Sharing a car is no big deal. Most days my husband took the car to work. If I had an appointment or needed to go to the store, then I would drop him off at work.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• We're a one car family, and have been since before kids. It just made more sense. We saved $2000 a year in insurance alone by getting rid of one. DH's parents have never had more than one car (even with both working and kids in school), and my folks only got a second car when my mom opened her own store - three years ago. They've been married 45 years.

Cars are a financial drain, not an investment. I have no trouble driving my DH to work when I need the car, and the small amount of extra gas required is hugly offset by not having to keep a second, especially when it costs $290 a year just to register the one used car we have here.
    Anonymous

• Never. If it came down to where we had to get rid of a car for me to sah I would get a job. There is no way that I would be at the house without a car. If something happened to the kids I would have to call an ambulance to come and get them instead of being able to drive them there myself. Besides that I live in the country in a very rural area and not having a car would never work especially when the kids have practices and such!
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 5:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I would. We have been a one-car family off and on since we have been married. So over 12 years. Right now we have 2 cars. When we lived in Spain we had one vehicle. If I needed the car I would drive DH to work every morning at 630 and pick him up at 430. We finally ended up getting a second (used) vehicle when I got a job there. Then we were only able to ship one vehicle back on the government's money (military), and couldn't afford $1000 to ship a used car back lol, so when we got back to the states, we were a single car family again. We lived that way for about a year, til our friend was ready to sell an old car of his and we bought it off him for $500. Hubby uses it to drive back and forth to work. You can make it happen. So what if you have to stay home with the kids all day...we saved money that way lol. I couldn't take them out everywhere and spend money so we found things to do at home. Its possible to do it.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:49 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• We've always been a 1 car family. There's been like all of 1 year that we've had 2 cars. My parents were the same way. Right now we have my husband's pick-up. It seats 6 so it's perfect for us but he takes it to work so I'm without a car most of the time. It's always been that way.
    It never bothered me. I don't have anywhere to go. When the kids were little I wouldn't leave the house with them unless I had help.

For most of my childhood we only had 1 car. That meant if my mom needed it she got up at 3am to drive my dad to work (and, yeah, us kids stayed at home sleeping...we were 12-14 at the time) or waited until he got home or had off to do her errands. Then me and my brother started driving and we all shared the 1 car.

I don't see a point in 2 cars. The only reason we'll get another one is if we have another baby. There isn't room for any more people in the truck so we'd need a van.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:51 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• We did it. We had an 05 Mazda Tribute and then a '00 Mazda Protege. I sold my Tribute which was considerably nicer and bigger, but also had much lower gas mileage. We now have a 4 door car, and I used part of the money from the sale of the other to buy a Yamaha scooter for $1700 that dh and I trade off commuting to work on. I can fill the tank for less than $3 and put about 90 miles on it before I have to refuel. I still work part time (less than 15 hrs/week) but it cut our debt down to about 1/4 of what it was plus we're saving so much money on gas and auto insurance, I'm glad we did it. In most cases 2 cars is a convenience not a necessity.
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 5:51 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• we did it. Then we were able to save up and buy a $1500 commuter car for dh and I have the nicer car now. It was totally worth it.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 5:53 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• This is just one thing we did while I was pregnant with my first so that we could afford for me to stay home. Now we have a second car, a hand me down from my in-laws that we can use for emergencies but we still use the 1 car for primary travel. For me, it's worth it to drive an older car and to only have one if it means I can raise my own children.
    Anonymous