Questions for Air Force wives

Dh and I are thinking about having him join the air force but I have a few questions first that I feel dumb asking a recruiter because they may be stupid questions. lol Anyway,
-What is base housing like? Are you assigned to a house or can you choose one? Is it old and gross or updated? How many bedrooms do you get? We have 2 kids and want to have a 3rd soon and I need an office so would we only get 2 bedrooms and make the kids share or could we get 3-4 bedrooms? Can I paint? Can I buy furniture off base and have it delivered to my house on base?
-What is the medical and dental like? Is it like being on medicaid (what we are on now) where it is near impossible to find a doctor who will see you? Can I get good glasses and contacts? (medicaid only covers cheap glasses and no contacts) Does the medical cover all medical procedures including cosmetic stuff or just necessities?

beckybee380

Asked by beckybee380 at 5:18 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• -Depends on if you live in a privatized base or not. I do not and I live in a 1950's small, cement house. My husband is pretty high in rank too so the enlisted folks really get crappy housing.

-From y experience, they give you a key to a couple of houses and then you choose one. If you decide not to then you go bac on the waiting list. Many bases have waiting lists for housing anyway and many people decide to live off base and use their BAH to pay rent/utilities.
    -You have 2 kids so you would get a 3 bedroom house.
    -You can pain but will have to put a coat of primer (at least) on the walls before you move.
    -Yes, you can have funrniture delivered.
    -medical is great..everything is paid for and usually no copays on meds unless it is unavailable on base. Dental (United Concordia) really sucks though.
    -No, nothing like Medicaid.
    Only one eye exam a year is covered. You pay for your glasses and all contacts/exam.

CONT
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 5:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• -My base has low cost cosmetic surgery but not all bases have that. I had to have eye and nose surgery (not cosmetic) and the Dr. Who did my surgery does those. He's a FANTASTIC surgeon.

I have all sorts of health problems from arthritis, stomach issues, eye issues etc and I have never been turned away and have never paid a penny for any surgeries. Any other questions, let me know.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 5:27 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• We're not air force, we're army, but so many things are the same.

Jackals wife is exactly right in everything she said. I've actually heard that air force housing is nicer than army housing, but that may not be true everywhere. We lived in a really nice, rennovated duplex on Ft Campbell and my husband is enlisted. We have two childrean and had a 3 bedroom 2 bath. You always have the option of living off base and collecting BAH (it's based upon your location, rank and if you have dependents). We could only paint with approved colors or repaint before we moved. We only got to look at the outside of the houses and peek in the windows before we choose a place.

I have to ditto what she said about the medical. I love Tricare. The dental isn't great, but at least it's something. The vision sucks, though.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 5:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Ditto to the pp's.
    We're a Navy family, but have never lived "on" base (or post as the Army calls it). We did live in military housing just outside of base and it was really nice. We have 3 children and were only offered a 3 bedroom townhouse with 2 full baths, but the rooms were large. We didn't choose or look because we were moving from ME to VA.
    When we lived close to base all our medical was done by military physicians, which was easy, and all prescriptions were free.
    Now we live too far from military base, but all our medical is still paid for as long as we go to the doctors that Tri-Care approves of. Prescriptions have a co-pay depending on whether they are brand, generic, or on the formulary.
    All dental cleanings are free and dental work receives a discount.
    Eye exams are free and Walmart offers a military discount on frames.
    We receive our BAH, which pays our mortgage.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:17 PM on Jun. 23, 2009