• In the Spotlight:

Got a unique idea or money saving tip for a wedding?

My fiance and I have been together for nearly 14 years. Between the two of us we have 3 teens and one 10 month old. We're 32, and finally feel like we might have the time and energy to have ourselves a wedding. The plan...a nice, but mostly casual backyard wedding at my parents house. Ceremony and reception. We're thinking of doing a ceremony that honors our children and unites them as well, and I've been looking into a butterfly release for the immediate family members during the ceremony. Because we have been together so long, no one really expected a wedding out of us, i dont think, but since we are doing it, I would like to have something that people will remember, in a good way, of course! If you have any ideas, and don't mind sharing them, I would love to hear them. And also any great money saving tips! Thank you in advance!

jdrae13

Asked by jdrae13 at 5:30 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• We attended a wedding last year that was blending a family. 3 teens all 14 and up.The Groom bought necklaces(different) for each of his new 'daughters. The bride bought a handsome watch for her 'new' son. As they gave the gifts they said something like "I give you this token of my love for you and bring you into the circle of family"..or something like that. They also reciited vows to the kids. Telling them they would be there for them, listening, etc. I bet theknot.com has something llike it in their vows area. That website was a fountain of information when planning our sons wedding last fall.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• We wrote our own vows. Actually, my husband read a letter outloud I wrote to him when we were considering getting married. It wasn't the traditional "you're my best friend' crap, but much more honest and open. People loved that letter. THey talked about it non-stop during the reception. My husband volunteered to write the ceremony (it was non-religious) so it was a surprise when he read the letter, I didn't even remember writing it since i had done so a year or so before! Anyway, it was nice and unexpected and people really felt included in our lives. Honest vows are the best.
    Anonymous

• What we did to save $$:

If our friends weren't married, we only gave them a guest if it was someone we knew, like a bf/gf. I didn't want a bunch of strange ppl. at my wedding.

Forget about those trinkets ppl. give out. No one cares about them and they all get thrown away.

Consider renting centerpieces as opposed to buying. We rented ours for $25/piece.

Forget champagne. No one drinks it. They say it is a huge waste of $$

Use an IPOD for music.

Don't skimp on food or alcohol---- that's the only thing ppl. care about!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 6:16 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• DH and I went all out for our wedding. I had, instead of rice, dried lavender. Lavender is a sign of devotion and when it's thrown or eventually stepped on it smells nice. I also had boxed chocolates that were DH's favorite and I had another box of chocolates that were my favorite for each place setting. I bought my stationery for the wedding invitations and bought extra boxes of them to print menus on.

We didn't skimp on the food or alcohol. We planned a menu with Johnny Carino's, had it catered and used their staff as our waiters. We ordered the champagne, it's a wedding and it's something nice we wanted. We rented a photo booth so the guests took their pictures and made our guest book for us. DH's son was the best man, my son escorted my mom and DH's mom. My SIL was my MOH. We didn't do 2 cakes. We combined the groom's cake and the wedding cake in one. Bottom tier was white cake and the upper tiers were chocolate. GL!
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 6:35 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• cont'd. The big thing is to design your wedding that resembles you two as a couple and the kids as a family. Make those little designs that set your wedding apart from everyone else's. Send me a message and I will tell you where I bought all the supplies for my wedding. I did my own flowers, favors (3 per guest), invitations, menus, scrapbook, CD for the wedding, where I bought my dress, my MOH's dress I gave to her from a ball gown I had in my closet. I have tons of ideas that were very easy to do.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 6:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2009