Since its getting close...I got a question about fireworks...

Are any of your children afraid of fireworks?

I have a 2 year old and a 1 year old that are both scared of them.

The 2 year old just cries then tries to run and hide.

The 1 year old stares at them wide eyed and screams like someone is trying to kill him, he doesnt cry or try to get away he just screams at the top of his lungs.

I was really looking forward to driving into the city and watching the biggest firework display they have had in 18 years but now I'm thinking it might not be such a good idea. I don't want them to be scared all night cause then it wont be any fun for anyone.

Any ideas on how to get them over this fear and make them see how pretty they are?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The only thing I can think of is if you could park far enough away that the noise and sounds of the explosions won't scare them. All 3 of my kids were scared of them when they were that young, so I'd get a baby sitter for them and take the older ones.
    Anonymous

• A couple years ago, someone was setting off fireworks in the parking lot of out building. I took my son over to see, and he swear that some of the sparks came down and burned him. Well I was holding him at the time, and we weren't anywhere near close enough for that to happen. But ever since then, he insists that the fireworks are going to burn him, just like last time. He doesn't mind watching them from a very far distance, but we could never buy our own and set them off.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 5:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• The loud boom is scary. Perhaps your children would be comfortable wearing earphones or earplugs to deaden the loud sound.

Answer by Bmat at 6:14 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• If they don't like the feel of ear plugs in their ears -- which you should test for, if they have never worn them before -- try to find some earmuffs (which I know may not be easy this time of year but ask around -- clearance, thrift stores, friends) and then decorate them to look more festive in keeping with the 4th of July. White ones would be great -- you could Sharpie them with red and blue stripes. Made star or sparkler topped bobbers, whatever. Get creative. Then they can wear their special sound-mufflers and show them off.

Parking further away and enjoying it from there has potential, too. It would feel like your own private show.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 6:33 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• This will be my son's first experience with fireworks. I'm not sure how he'll react to the sound so we're gonna try and go somewhere not too close but where we can still see them well.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 6:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2009