My daugther is 17 mths old and is still drinking from a bottle. She rarely wants to drink from any kind of sippy cup or cup with a straw. She will drink from our glasses though. I have tried to take her bottle away from her before and she cried and threw up (she does this anytime she gets upset). Any ideas on how I can sucessfully get her off the bottle?

IzzyBsMommy

Asked by IzzyBsMommy at 5:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son was like this around that age. It sounds mean but you need to throw the bottles out. Have only sippy cups around. Eventually when she wants something to drink she will have to get on board with YOUR program of "no more bottles". You will have lots of crying and fussing but soon she will realize that Mommy runs the show and not DD.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 6:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My son was the same way. He throws up if he gets upset as well. We ended up just having to take it away one day and tell him "it got thrown in the trash, icky." For some reason he kept saying his Uncle was the one that threw it away. He screamed and whined for a few days, and then just came to accept it.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 6:07 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Throw them away if it bothers you. Don't give in. The child will eventually drink from a cup.
    RainingHeart

Answer by RainingHeart at 6:31 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I would suggest you try the following:

1. Put a sippy cup filled with water in with her toys so that she can practice/play/experiment freely.

2. Since she'll drink from your cup, if you have the time/patience, give her a small plastic cup with a sip of a drink at a time. Perhaps she'll go right from the bottle to an open cup instead of a sippy.

3. Try ditching the bottle one feeding at a time. Start with breakfast since she'll be more thirsty (and hopefully less likely to protest). If she's used to a bottle before bed, save that for last, give her a sippy of milk and extra cuddles before bed instead.
    Good luck!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• switch to the sippy cups w/ silicone spouts. they feel more like a bottle than a hard sippy cup. thats what we did w/ our son & now he drinks from normal hard plastic sippy cups. i think the transition is easier that way...good luck
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 8:53 PM on Jun. 23, 2009