My 11 month old is becoming mean! How should I deal with him?

He is getting into that hitting stage and he is particularly hitting my glasses of my face and he will do it if i tell him no for trying to grab my glasses. Sometimes he will hit just for the sake of hitting, then I will tell him no and he will just keep doing it... I need advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son is 8 months old and grabs my hair, rips off my face, lol. He doesn't do it to be mean...he just does it. I don't know if he even knows what he is doing, I think he does it to be funny. but i do say "oww" now and "no no". I don't think he understands me. I will not spank him though. to me he is still a baby. and an 11 month to me is still a baby. my son is strong too and he does hurt. Hopefully he will grow out of it or I will have to teach him to be gentle when he can understand words.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 6:56 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Spank him.
    Anonymous

• No I dont think you should spank him ,but what I have found to help with my 10 1/2 month old who does the same things, he will even tell me no no no yelling at me if I tell him no to something, anyway I usually tap him on the hand hard enough so that its not exactly pleasant, and then I redirect him like give him something else to do. Hope this helps.
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 5:58 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I have three kids and I know that spanking does NOT help, been there, done that. It makes some kids even meaner. Every child is different and explaining to him, saying "That hurts", or "Don't hit, that is not nice" and putting him in time out works much better but you have to be consistent. Make sure that when he says sorry or let you know he feels bad for hurting you, you hug him and let him know that is the appropriate way to act. You may have to resort to taking away a toy or , if you are outside and he does it, take him inside and tell him you won't let him continue playing if he is going to hit. He will understand and start wanting to get on your good side. Good luck.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 6:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I think you should spank him. A pop on the diaper that isn't severe but enough to get his attention or "isn't exactly pleasant" will get a reaction from him. You should follow up the pop on the diaper with "No! You don't do that to me." He won't understand what you're saying but he will understand the tone you use and he won't like it.
    Hope this helps.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 6:09 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• You could try time out/isolation in his crib. Or taking away privileges. He'll eventually get the point.

If it were me I'd "spank" him on his hand with a clear "NO!" and continue doing so every single time he does something like that. you have to be consistent whether it's spanking or time out. That's the only way the point will get through to him.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 6:17 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Oh don't spank him...yet lol. My 7 month old pulls my hair all the time she gets rough, but I tell her ouch! that hurts mommy and I tell her be nice and I touch her face or her hand. Your son will grow out of it. Saying no is good too.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 6:18 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Give him time out or take away his toys. Since hitting seems to be his problem, I don't think I'd hit him. That would just be hypocritical and even little kids know when something isn't fair. You'd be saying "don't hit' while hitting him which would send the wrong msg. I think.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 6:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2009