Anyone ever put their child in the trunk....

Today I went to do a bit of grocery shopping only to realize when I got to the store that my 16 month old had wet through his pants already. I know the store I was at didn't have a change table and I refuse to change him on a public bathroom floor. Since I have 2 car seats in my backseat I can't lay him there to change him so I laid him in the trunk (I have done this before with both of my kids while out shopping or camping.) While I'm changing him this older couple pulls up in a minivan and is just sitting there. I figured maybe they thought I was leaving and was waiting on my parking spot. Instead the man puts his window down and says "You're not leaving that baby in the trunk are you?" My jaw hit the ground and I wanted to scream at them and ask them how stupid they thought I was? I just explained to them what I was doing and left

Anyone ever put their child in the trunk to change their diaper while out and about?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• No I haven't but I understand you were just changing your baby, no harm done there. Even though you were shocked that the man was thinking you might leave your baby in there, be glad that there are people out there watching out for parents who do abuse or neglect their children. Unfortunately, it does happen and I'm glad some people are watching out for the children.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 5:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I have not done that, but I wouldn't have minded the old couple asking. I would rather them be looking out for kids then worry that they had insulted me. They don't know you, so they don't know what you are capable of.
    Just be glad they had your baby's interest at heart.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• We only have SUV's, but I HAVE changed them in the back. I can understand why you used the trunk...nothing wrong with it! Some people really need to find something better to do with their time!
    Anonymous

• I have used the tailgate of my truck.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:52 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I'm sure that man was joking and you just took it seriously. My dad put me in the trunk to sneak me into the drive-ins, so he didn't have to pay for me, I begged him to let me go in the trunk, it was fun
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 5:52 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Yes I have actually. I was in a parking garage of a mall in Sevilla Spain with my dd and 2 of my friends. DD was just a few months old. Well I noticed she had a poopy diaper, and I didn't know where the changing station in the mall was, so my friend says "lay her in the trunk I do it all the time". So I laid her, the diaper bag, and my keys in the trunk. Got her all changed, went and shopped, had a great few hours, came back to get in the car, and yep my keys were locked in the trunk. We all 3 (in our broken Spanish) tried to tell the guards in the parking garage what had happened. Meanwhile I called my husband who was at home 45 minutes away with my 2 older kids. He had to try to find someone to watch them, so would be over an hour getting to us. We went to an auto shop type thing IN the parking garage. The guy working wanted to break my window to unlock the doors to pop the trunk! Luckily hubby showed up with extra keys lol
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:54 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I have changed my son's diaper in the back on my SUV before. I understand why you did it. But I think that couple asked if you were leaving the baby in the trunk because of what that dumbass Casey Anthony did to her daughter Caylee, leaving her in the trunk of her car.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 5:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Well I have a SUV so it's not 'quite' the same but yes I change them in the back all the time - I would have given that couple a piece of my mind; I'm sorry for me it isn't about "well be glad people care enough" - honestly nosey old people get annoying after a while!
    Anonymous

• lol, the title of your question about made me go into labor!!! I have never personally done that....but only because I haven't thought of it!! Just laugh about it, that's really all you can do!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 5:59 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I used to do that a lot. It's the most convenient place to change a baby when there's no restroom or there is but it's filthy and not baby friendly. Or when you have an older child who doesn't want to leave the playground to hike half a mile to the nearest restroom but the baby needs changed.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 6:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2009