tick collar

i am wanting to put a flea/tick collar on my dogs. is this okay to use with children in the house? i have a 7 month old who touchs the dogs a lot, once the powder stuff wears off will it be okay for him to touch it. i'm not gonna let him eat it or anything obviously and i will try to stop him from touching it, but ya know kids haha :) thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Pets

• I have never found a flea/tick collar that actually worked! I would find another method of preventing fleas/ticks. Get a topical (not a cheap wal-mart brand, because they don't work either) they work so much better than any other method of flea/tick prevention.
    I would be careful with children and these collars. Make sure your child doesn't touch the collar. Babies that age are constantly putting their hands in their mouths, if your child touched the collar w/o you knowing about it and then put his/her hands in her mouth your baby could get sick!
    Anonymous

• I would use some Diatomaceous - Earth  powder / human grade all natural and safe:

this is from the earth - you just dust your dog with this a few times per week or daily-

you can dust the bedding and even the house - as needed-

SAFE for baby

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Alternative-Medicine-Pets-3721/2009/3/fleas-Diatomaceous-Earth-canine.htm

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 2:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2009