I think it's sad that we have to question this, really.

I saw another post asking if organic baby food was all its cracked up to be and it made me think. The other night I was in the kitchen cutting up an organic apple for my son and I to eat and I was thinking about this same topic and I thought "a little while ago people wouldn't be asking themselves this question because everything was organic." I don't go out of my way to buy organic foods or anything, but I do know about the chemicals that go into pesticides and preservatives because I used to test them to make sure they were up to FDA/EPA standards.

I'm not bashing organic or non-organic food. I just think that it's weird that we have to question the topic. It is weird, right?

ajguinn

Asked by ajguinn at 6:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Health

• I agree that it is sad. We all complain too about all the food recalls, and there was a time when there was no need for that because you grew or raised what you ate. I would love to learn how to be self sufficent like that. Can things from our garden, raise a few chickens, a cow or two, maybe a few pigs too. But I have no idea the first thing about any of that. We lose so much knowledge for "progress".
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 7:44 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• What does an organic apple taste like?

My grandma grows organic cucumbers. They're so much more amazing than store-bought ones.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:22 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I actually do notice a difference. For one, as soon as you start to cut into them they start dripping juice. It's hard to describe....they just taste better. The skin isn't waxy. You know how apples always look really shiny? Organic apples aren't shiny. My favorite is home grown or organic tomatoes, actually. THEY have flavor. I just think the other tomatoes that have been treated with all kinds of chemicals really don't have flavor.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 6:27 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• The environmental working group publishes a guide to organic produce: www.ewg.org.
    The American Pediatrics Association recommends feeding organic foods to children under six.
    Conventional foods are grown to be cheap with long shelf lives; organic foods are grown to taste good, be nutritious and not damage the earth.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2009