What do you do to fill in that last hour or so before your kids go to bed?

My daughter is six months old. She goes to bed around 7 every night and sleeps all night (yay!).

Thing is, around 5:30 or 6, I find myself at a loss for what to do with her until bedtime. She gets her last bottle at 6:45, and then she's in bed by 7:15. She gets really pissy and cranky, and doesn't really enjoy playing or anything of the sort. It's been a struggle to keep her happy for a few weeks now. Gah!

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 6:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I lay on my ass and watch TV. It's a beautiful thing.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 6:22 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Oh before lol sorry. I gate the hallway off where he can't get into anything and let him crawl around and play with toys. It usually keeps him occupied.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 6:23 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I read to her or just ock her whie listening to some nice lullaby music.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 6:27 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My son likes to watch his learning video sometimes before bed, or I'll play with him on the floor with his toys.

Something that I think that is cute is maybe going on a short walk while they're still in a semi-good mood. That way they can look at everything and start getting sleepy there. Then when you come home you can walk around with them, saying good night to every room with the lights low.
    ours

Answer by ours at 6:30 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• haha.....playhouse disney has some wonderful cartoons. :) sometimes you just have to give in....pop in a movie....and cuddle! Although my 2 year old does enjoy an hour and a half long bath at times :)
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 6:32 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Usually bath time, reading time, cuddles, singing-humming. Sometimes we go for a walk and sometimes we just have play time on the floor.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• quite time, reading, baths, brushing teeth, just cuddling.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 6:44 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• We do bathtime and then we read books in his room until bedtime
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:18 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Just put a movie on the tv for her to watch, something cartoon-ish to catch her attention. She will fall right to sleep if you dim the lights and such.
    victoria.mommy

Answer by victoria.mommy at 9:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• This could be a good time for down time or extra bonding time. Read her a book or sing her a song in a dimly lit room in a rockingchair (if you have one). Or maybe if dads around he can do this if he's away during the day and don't get the bonding time you do. This will sooth her into sleep as well as it will give her structure. I did this with my 1st and it seemed to work, after she knew it was bed time.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 9:52 AM on Jun. 24, 2009