Preschool?

My daughter is 3 years old. Everyone keeps asking me is she in preschool, I always told them no she doesnt need it, I feel like I can teach her everything she needs to know, But the more I think about it, I feel like I should put her in preschool, But I Dont wanna let go...What did you do and how did you handle things...?

gvfdwife05

Asked by gvfdwife05 at 6:32 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my son started when he was 3.5 and it was hard for me I just kinew he was gonna cry when I left but he went right in and said bye mommy. he learned so much and it was good for him since his siblings are 16,12 and 11 he learned to play with kids his own age. He will be in preschool again next year toobecause hes to young for kindergarten. He goes all day everyday so I dont have to have a babysitter
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 10:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• it was very hard at first, but when i saw how much my son loved it, i knew it was the right thing to do. children learn from interaction with kids and adults, and my son benefitted so much from his teacher. i thought i could teach him everything, but i was wrong.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 6:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• you really can teach her all she needs to know for kindergarten and there are lots of ways to socialize other than preschool.
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 6:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Mine will be three this summer and will be going to preschool in the fall. Just 2 1/2 days a week but I think it's important. Yes, I can teach her tons of stuff at home but I can't teach her how to follow the classroom rules, how to share toys with 10 other kids, how to play group games with other kids, how to listen to the teacher and follow directions, and all of the other things that make up "HOW to go to school". That's why she's going.
    Am I sad? Yes. When the letter came that she was off the wait list and could go in the fall, I cried. But I know this is just the first step in cutting those apron strings. I picked a co-op preschool to help ME with this too. I'll be there one day a week, not with her like a mommy & me class, but nearby, working in the school. So I'll feel like I'm still a part of this phase of her life.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:05 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• You CAN teach her everything she needs to know to go to kindergarten, but the things that she learns in preschool will be just as valuable too. She will learn how to cooperate with other kids, she will learn that she must raise her hand to speak, she'll learn that there is a time and a place for goofing around, speaking out, etc. As hard as you try, the experience she gets from YOU will be way different than the reality of school. My son went to his first year of preschool this year and it gave me chills to walk into his class and to see him raising his hand to answer questions (at 3). My daughter went to kindergarten this year and I volunteered in her class a couple days a week and it was frustrating to see the disruption caused by the kids who didn't know how to act in the classroom (not frustrating to me, but the other kids who aren't getting to do their activities). Just things to consider when making your decision.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:46 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Also you don't need to send her all day everyday. All learning at preschool is done before lunch, after lunch is naptime and playtime. Preschool's have different rates depending on what you want. You can pay for half days 5 days a week, 2 days a week, 3 days a week.....whatever you want. I only did half days for both of my kids.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:48 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• For any mother it is definitely difficult for us to let go of our little ones and let them do their own thing.. It's good to know that your comfortable as a mother teaching your child everything she needs to know. So I suggest you try a half-day preschool where she'll be there for a couple hours a day/twice a week. It can definitely allow her to expand her horizons and socialize with others little kids her age.
    jsamaniego19

Answer by jsamaniego19 at 9:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Personally, I think 3 is too young for preschool. I would say if you're unsure about it, send her at 4. Then she still gets one year of preschool before kindergarten.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:31 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• If your child has opportunities to be with other children her age right now, either at home, a sitters, church, library time,etc then she probably doesn't need preschool this year. One year of a good pre-k program should be enough to prepare her for Kindergarten. If she has no opportunities to be with her same aged peers at this time, then maybe a couple of days each week would be a good idea so she can begin to learn to socialize, share, take turns. Academics are very important these days because of how academic Kindergarten is. Just as important are social skills, following directions, walking in a line, etc. So many things that need to be taught in a large group that parents cannot provide at home.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 8:10 AM on Jun. 24, 2009