Can you overfeed a b/f baby?

The last week or so my 4 week old wants to eat constantly! At least I think she does...if she fusses and I can't calm her down I offer her my breast and she never refuses - do you think she's actually hungry or just needing some comfort? She usually just eats for 10-15mins each time...

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 6:43 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she's cluster feeding. it's very common, especially for b/f babies. she's having a growth spurt and programming your breasts to put out more milk as she grows and her needs increase. it's very natural and a part of the breast 'training' for lack of a better word. no reason to worry at ALL.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 6:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• she's definitely going through a growth spurt. its natural normal and common.

let her continue to be at the breast. she may need milk, or she may even just need comfort sucking. either way let her.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• You can't overfeed at the breast.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:56 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• You can't overfeed with a bottle and formula, either. It doesn't matter how a baby is fed, you cannot over feed. If they take in too much, they WILL spit it back up.
    Anonymous

• it's probably a growth spurt. it's VERY rare for a BF baby to be overfed b/c baby has to work ~60% harder to extract milk from the breast than from a bottle. If baby happens to overeat (rare), she'll just spit it back up.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Sounds very normal. Just keep on doing what you're doing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:31 PM on Jun. 23, 2009